Saturday, February 7, 2015

22. Communication Badge

Click the link below to download Fred's presentation on the Communication Badge. You will need Powerpoint to watch his presentation: http://www.wou.edu/~bucym/other/Lib686/show_tell_2015/Perez.pptx

5 comments:

  1. So it this tech requires a server licence I assume that it is only good for short distance communication such as in a building. This may have some affect on the way that companies contact others within the same building but it will be a hard sell since anyone that deals in customer service will still need a phone to call the outside world. depending on the transmission system there are security concerns, and people already talk to load in public because of there phones this will potentially compound the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice presentation! I didn't even know that PowerPoint had that audio feature. In regards to the Comm badge, it seems like a very handy piece of technology and the fact that it mimics a Star Trek gadget makes it a little more appealing. I am imagine people who need a hands-free device frequently to be very interested in a gadget like this. It reminded me a new and improved version of a walkie-talkie. I would definitely use this if I had it but I don't think it would be technology would spending a couple-hundred dollars on though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meagan Bonitaitbus


    Hi Fred,
    Cool PowerPoint. The Communication Badge is pretty awesome. In Oregon, with hands-free driving, this could come in handy (har har). When my partner and I drove across country to move, we used actual walkie-talkies between her (in the moving truck) and me (in the car). This helped us to change lanes, stop for a break, etc... This Communication Badge would have helped us, but for the cost, our $10 walkie talkies did just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The CommBadge itself seems little more than a small speaker phone device, which is great, but not earth shattering. The Vocera Badge seemed more helpful, as it does not require a smartphone, but it was not immediately clear from the website how to create the network. The Vocera product would be especially helpful for teachers in a large school who are moving a lot or need to quickly communicate with other teachers/administrators. It would also be great for field trips and other outings to ease communication between teachers and chaperones over large distances. Without understanding the network, I don't see how it is different than buying a few cheap walkie-talkies though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While the idea is interesting, it seems as if there are already technologies out there that are doing a better job in the individual market of filling this niche. On the corporate side I can see the appeal. It does seem limited and I wonder how they will go about expanding that capability.

    ReplyDelete