Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I think that I posted but not sure. I do not think that this product will have a very large following. I think that the people that do buy it will use it a few times and decide that it is just to much effort to use. We do not work out with a belt. There are major risk of evasion of privacy with the blue tooth in it. I don't think this product will be anything more than a fad.
ReplyDeleteI think you meant to post this on the Belty presentation but posted it on your own by mistake.
ReplyDeleteWhile I don't disagree with your statement that autonomous cars (autos) will be affordable only to the wealthy at first, I think the bigger implications come with ride sharing. Autos could allow for easier ride sharing and eliminate the need for a personal vehicle. It can increase the number of "taxis" available because we will not need manpower to operate these vehicles. Even sharing a personal vehicle will be easier! I currently share a vehicle with my partner, and the ability to have the car itself pick me up and go back for Jens at a later point sounds glorious - to think that it might be possible in my lifetime! This doesn't even touch on the access and mobility issues that these cars will alleviate for older individuals or individuals with disabilities who will be able to access/"operate" a personal vehicle, some for the first time. I am very excited to see how this technology plays out in the coming years.
ReplyDeleteSo much will change as these start rolling out. I think there will be some obstacles to overcome initially, like legal concerns and regulations. Once those get cleared up (and there's plenty of money and support to push it through) things will shift quickly. Of course it'll start with wealthy people, as they will all be new high-end cars, but it won't take long for them to trickle down. Wealthy people tend to swap out for newer cars every few years. Given all the great new conveniences they'll offer, I think even average people will be willing to pony up more money than they normally would for a vehicle so they can work on their commutes or send their car on errands without them. Think about how they'll alleviate parking; just drop you off and then head out to a less congested area to park. Of course they'll also eliminate a lot of jobs. Take a look at this map of the most common jobs by state linked below. Truck driver is by far the most common job in this country. Maybe the teamsters will have something to say about these automated vehicles
ReplyDeletehttp://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2015/02/05/382664837/map-the-most-common-job-in-every-state
Meagan Bonitatibus:
ReplyDeleteHi David,
I read your post as well as the comments, and I can't help but agree with Brian in that times will definitely change if the autonomous car develops on schedule. Things will for sure be different--right now, off the top of my head, I can see that delivery would be different. Maybe the need for truck drivers, mail carriers, and possibly UPS trucks would downsize. Or, those in the position where driving is the #1 element in their job, would have longer shifts because they wouldn't be responsible for driving anymore. I'm interested to see where this goes.
It is hard to imagine a world with autonomous cars. I know a lot of control freaks who will not be happy to give up the power of the drivers seat. I don't see where the money will come from to pay for such an expensive change over. I imagine it's possible that decades from now we will see lots of them on the road. I agree that it will be only a luxury for the rich for a long time.
ReplyDeleteArthur, your paper on autonomous cars was really interesting. I wasn't expecting to learn that people actually have to take courses on how NOT to drive in order to legally drive one. I personally don't like the idea of relying completely on the car to get me safely to my destination. I think they will find their place in society, but I think it may be longer than 5 years before all the bugs are worked out.
ReplyDeleteOne of my main concerns involve having a license for an auto car and how this would be regulated. I am guarded by the new automobile technology with autostop features because if the system fails then it could have some serious implications for the driver. What if this car gets into an accident? This is a major risk for the car owner and other drivers on the road. It opens a new question on risk management and insurance.
ReplyDeleteNatalie Dunn