Enjoy Sheryl's presentation on smart watches and fitness trackers.
Saturday, February 7, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
Monica Moyano
ReplyDeleteFitness trackers are awesome. I use the vivofit and I have used the run keeper app on my phone. As far as tracking students, I think it could be very helpful for teachers to know if students are hydrated, have high/ low blood sugar and are in need for physical activity. We know that students learn best if their basic needs are met. However, this seems like a major invasion of privacy. As far as joining a healthy living program in exchange for lower health care cost, I am totally down with that....sign me up!!
I have a New Balance LifeTRNr Sync and I love it. I like to be able to check my heart rate and know how many steps I am taking in a day. It would be nice to know where students were at all times but I am concerned with people knowing where I am all the time. I see a major privacy issue happening if fitness watches come to school in order to track students or teachers.
ReplyDeleteI have not used one of these myself, but several co-workers use step-tracker apps and one has been tracking her sleep habits. I can see pros and cons for this type of technology. When used on a personal level, or in conjunction with a health professional to track habits to diagnose problems or maintain a person's health, then this would likely have a useful purpose. The cons would include a loss of privacy if others were to track a person's habits without their knowledge or consent.
ReplyDeleteI was the contract negotiating chair for my previous District and I can almost hear the hullballoo that would result if someone suggested that teachers should wear these. It made me smile just thinking about it. I also see incredible possibilities for promotion of healthy living in young students. Technology is never cut and dried, is it?
ReplyDeleteDana McMakin for the above reply.
Delete