Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I'm not sure if it just my viewing platform, but for whomever views my project, the last slide included a video with the Cubelets in action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EDsLayRKQA), and provided the website for reference.
ReplyDeleteI teach LEGO robotics at my school which is a great introduction to programming. Cubelets would be wonderful to introduce robotics at the lower grades and/or as a lead into my robotic’s program. They have sensors, action, and power supplies without the need for programming. I like that they are not language dependent. Any student would get to use computational thinking in a playful environment. The use of Cubelets would support Core learning with so many opportunities to reflect on personal experiences. Also, what a great way to support STEM with elementary students.
ReplyDeleteI'm really intrigued by these. I just finished reading a book about the benefits of programming for school kids, and this looks really cool for younger kids. However, it seems like the "programming" is very limited. How much debugging and explorations can kids do with these? How far can they go? Is this something that is just a lead-up into LEGO robotics or other computer programming, or something that advanced students can take advanced places? Either way...wish I had access to $1000 for educational material and an excuse to use these in Social Studies. Would love to experiment with them.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy.
ReplyDeleteI am really intrigued by these cubelets. I read an article for one of my other classes about providing student to use an engineering approach to solving problems. These cubelets are along those same lines. Kids get to take a simple task, one cube, and add more tasks, more cubes, to perform a more difficult task. The idea behind these cubelets and the application of conceptual understanding is very common. Students are able to take a step by step approach and formulate solutions to bigger problems.
Hey Amy,
ReplyDeleteAt first I was a little confused on what these actually did. After watching the video, I was intrigued. I really like how they elicit creativity. I believe these could easily lend themselves to critical thinking and problem solving activities where students are given a specific task and asked how they would use the Cubelets to accomplish the task. Neat gadget!
Amy,
ReplyDeleteI now own a set of Cubelets and am having fun figuring out how I will use them. I purchased LEGO adapters so that kids could build structures with Legos, mount them on the Cubelets, and then have them move. Fun! Thanks for a great idea.
"Learning skills today to solve problems in the future" that is a great motto to help develop robots for kids. I am so intrigued by Cubelets and I can't wait to get a set for myself to see how they work and how my daughter can use them. I really like the idea that each cube does a really simply task, but when they are combined they become something complex that can complete a bigger task.
ReplyDelete