Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
David, you did a good job covering the aspects of PS Now. I am looking into buying this of the ResLife program I manage. The benefits and challenges are spot on. How great is it to not have to store a library of 300+ games? How bad is it when your ISP goes down? I would love to see better educational games offered for consuls.
ReplyDeleteCool idea, but makes me nervous! I work with people across the US who live in rural location and the internet is spotty at best. It seems like this product would not allow them to connect at the speeds necessary to play the game in the way it would need to be played.
ReplyDeleteI started thinking about how it could impact education and it made me think about firewalls and protections. Our grant creates webinars, trainings, and other products but they are often HARD to get into the schools because of firewalls and other security measures. I wonder how this would work in schools- to allow certain games/products to be used or accessed and not others- where would they draw the line? Would Sony Now come up with an education line that only had access to appropriate content that would be easier to get past those security measures? Interesting to think about!
This is definitely where it is all going.There has been speculation in scifi that games and movies would sort of meld together to make a new entertainment form. Here is the new distribution system. Steam has been doing this on PCs for a few years but this one will gain more traction if they can move beyond a single platform to more types of devices.
ReplyDeleteI think this is the way we're going with all of our electronics - music, movie, games. Things will no longer be stored physically at our home but rather in the Cloud. I like your pros and cons slide about the challenges. I do question the privacy aspect again. I wonder if the gaming companies will use the players data to help improve the games or for other reasons. It seems like there will be less privacy and control with the Cloud-based systems.
ReplyDeleteThe cloud is a very powerful tool that is slowly (or more quickly) taking over media storage. It is a bit scary for generations to come to terms with the lack of physical context to store games and media. I think there is validity is both the pros and cons with this product. I will be interested to see where it continues to move.
ReplyDelete