Wednesday, February 5, 2014

30. Wanderful Interactive Storybooks (Jacqui C.)

6 comments:

  1. I downloaded a free version of this onto my computer and played around with it, although I'm pretty confident that my kids already have this type of book on their iPads. I like how this blends animation and T.V.-like features with reading, and how it points out the words being read.

    For my kids, who are growing up in a household that engages them in grown-up talk and has books everywhere, the effect of applications like these might be minimal. In fact, if having this application encourages parents or teachers to use this as a substitute for reading to children themselves, I could see this being a negative thing.

    However, with that said, too many kids are not being exposed to language enough in their first 5 years of life for various reasons. Apps like this that simulate a parent/teacher reading to them and are engaging could do a lot of good.

    Specifically, I think about my Native Alaskan students, and how a lack of exposure to English language sets them back academically in school. Reasons for this are many, but on the base of it, they are often 2nd or 3rd generation native English speakers and, culturally, the Native Alaskans I work with just don't talk as much as Westerners. But more and more kids are using iPads and iPhones here (in Interior Alaska). Putting an App like this in the hands of kids who aren't getting exposed to "enough" (thinking only from a Western school's perspective) language is really powerful.

    Joe Waarvik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqui!

    Interactive storybooks can be so much fun and entertaining for kids, while teaching them how to read. At the same time, I have some concerns on the use of these types of storybooks as replacing paper books in general.
    First of all, these interactive storybooks have a lot of visuals and media which stimulates the brain in a different way then an actual page in a book would. With this in mind, soon kids become addicted to that type of stimulation and have a really hard time staying focused when it comes to a black text on a white page. Yes, it does save money on manufacturing books, but at the same time all the visuals can overwhelm sight and certain parts of the brain, and children find themselves with difficulty when it comes to attention span. (Now, of course, this is if these interactive storybooks are used on a constant basis.)
    Of course if a "robot" constantly reads to our children, we can lose that human connection as well, that tends to happen when a parent and child sit down to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the main benefit of this type of technology to students who struggle with reading in the primary grades. It allows them to interact with the reading material in ways that are more in depth than a paper book.
    On the other hand, I TOO have a concern that parents use this as a substitute for them reading to their child as they grow up. I think being read to is very important in the developmental process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see all of your points in encouraging the use of this over actual reading to children. It was actually stated in an advertisement for this product on their website that you could leave your child alone to do it. I think that in many households reading to children can be overlooked and it can take some kids years of school to actually learn language because of this. This kind of product shouldn't replace books, but work as a supplement. For instance my mom read to my brother and I all the time when we were children. I know how a huge love of reading, whereas my brother has always struggled in school and he would just rather not read. This was just due to different learning styles. My brother learns better from things that engage his attention, whereas I can sit and read silently and be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a really fantastic presentation, as I didn't realize how detailed these interactive storybooks have gotten. I have a number of my younger grade school students (usually 1st graders) who love looking at some of the more basic interactive stories that can be found on sites like abcya.com. They do a great job of keeping the attention of students who don't necessarily love reading yet. I think they're a tremendous tool for younger kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this concept because the books are differentiated for students. Students can read at their own paces and also read age or level appropriate books. Students would be motivated, because it is a hands on interactive device. I see there are some concerns about the book replacing real-life reading where a parent/teacher and child are reading together. This wouldn't have to take the place of a parent or teacher. It could be added practice with a self-guided interactive book in addition to modeled reading and thinking. Too many times in the classroom, I feel I am doing most of the work and thinking as a teacher. This is a great way to gradually release the students.

    ReplyDelete