Wednesday, February 5, 2014

8. Smart Shirt (Courtnay S.)

Click here to view Courtnay's presentation on the Smart Shirt: http://tinyurl.com/kmuwyt6

5 comments:

  1. I think the smart clothing has some interesting real-world applications. Monitoring vital signs of an individual can be pretty important in some circumstances, and this clothing could certainly make it easier. I especially like it's use for those who need monitoring the most: infants, elderly people, sick people. It creates an easier way to keep an eye on those who need it most.It would be cool if we could take it one step further and begin to regulate the individual's environment with the clothing. For example, if the individual's temperature was getting too high, the shirt could sense that and keep them cool, or visa versa. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wondered when we are going to start having "smart" clothing. I really like the idea of having the clothing record vitals to ensure that the user is healthy. However, I am glad that Courtnay mentioned the information being put onto the web for anyone to find. With our online privacy becoming less and less, I feel this form of technology might add a little too much personal information to the internet. As for the Japanese "True Love Test" bra mentioned at the bottom... WOW. That would be a struggle for some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this smart clothing is very comfortable because it could adjust itself by people's own condition. I heard this news before. I think the military like this idea very much because the solider will need this kind of T-shirt. They could change the colour according to the weather and the enviromnent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is very interesting technology and can have a positive impact on people's health. The list of possible applications was a good place to start and I think that smart clothing would be a positive way to maintain healthy living especially for people doing extreme jobs or in health care settings. One concern I would have, as Courtney mentioned, is the access to the health information online. That would be a major downside to this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the one major application of something like this is the "lie detector" aspect. I can imagine a classroom of students wearing their smart uniforms provided by the school. You could gather data on whether or not they're actually ready and willing to learn (basic needs met), and then whether or not they're being honest (not cheating, giving their best effort). Of course, teachers would have to wear them to make things fair...

    I wonder what it would be like if politicians had to wear them...

    ReplyDelete