Click here to view Charles' presentation on 3D printing:
https://sites.google.com/a/kvschool.org/3d-priting-show-and-tell/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
Needless to say, this is amazing technology. I'm still wrapping my head around some of the possibilities. I feel like this technology could have an international impact of anything that is produced as a product. Why pay for individual items when you can just print them yourself? I understand there has to be a limit as to what types of things can be printed, but the fact that there are fighter jet engine parts that are actually being used in working jets leads to believe that those limits may be pretty hard to reach.
ReplyDelete3D printing is also very famous in China. I think it is the most amazing technology I have ever heard. In the lastest news I heard about 3D printing. It is really interesting that people could design their own stuff and printing it.
ReplyDeleteI found the imbedded link "30 things being 3D printed right now" incredibly interesting. After reading through it, I realized that items are being created in three different categories: 1) medical, 2) items that already can be built/created in other ways, 3) superfluous items. This led me to question why we were focusing on the latter two categories. For example, are parts being created at a quicker pace? Are they more economically profitable? Are they more eco-friendly in production and destruction? It also would have been interesting to see more of a focus on implications in the classroom (i.e., follow up with Philomath!).
ReplyDelete3D printing is one of the emerging techs that I’m most looking forward to being able to try myself. I’m hoping that printers will become common-place in education in not too long of a time. They bring clear benefits in engineering, design, modeling etc. education; having a physical end product can lead to all sorts of endeavors at an institution. It was nice to read about Philomath, and I hope the trend continues rapidly. The ‘30 Things’ article was an eye opener, so many diverse uses. I also share the concern regarding weapons; it will be interesting to see how things play out in countries with stricter controls.
ReplyDeleteFROM ROBIN LYNCH: The idea of 3D printing is so interesting to me. It has the potential to change how we create so many things. It can also change how we repair items because instead of replacing a whole unit, we can now replace just the little broken part. It could mean huge changes in the auto industry. I’m really interested in how this is going to work with the printing of organs and veins.
ReplyDelete