Wednesday, February 5, 2014

31. Wearable Health Monitors (Robin R.)

Click here to view Robin's presentation on Wearable Health Monitors: http://screencast.com/t/t296bZ5vLs

7 comments:

  1. Robin,

    I like the idea behind these devices. I think technology in health care centers are increasing leading to early detection, better patient monitoring, and overall improved care. These devices can offer great comfort due to their "anytime-anywhere" use. I like that the data can immediately be sent to a health care professional, so results don't get lost in translation between patient and doctor. I believe these health monitors can help with early detection, longer monitoring, and use in remote areas. I would love to see these devices take off and become FDA approved. I think we could see some great benefits from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because of a faulty ECG test and a side effect I had to a strong antimalarial dose while in Uganda, the quality of my heart was in question for a few months. Trying to decide if your heart is acting strange without an objective machine and data is stressful; technology like these would really help to ease the minds of people who need these. Also, the possibility of people who live alone getting emergency help when they cannot reach a phone is a life-saving idea, although the amount of false alarms would have to weighed. Going back to my situation, it turns out I just seem to have a naturally low resting heart rate; it would have been helpful if I had been monitoring myself for years, even as a healthy individual, so I already knew that about myself. With all that said, the idea of people using this machines as ways to self-diagnose themselves might not be a positive thing; it makes me think of people trying to diagnose themselves through Web M.D. without any medical training or hard data.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these devices have amazing uses. I find that as technology advances many of these will become more common place. I have many health conscious friends who would love access to some of these tools to connect with their smart devices. The question is how will our healthcare providers use the data from these devices used by their patients. DO THEY HAVE THE TIME!? to be monitoring more things besides the patients they see face to face? Is reasonable to expect they can see patients face to face and get reports from this data on a patient they saw 6 months ago for a minor hear problem? Just where my questions go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jared,
      I know that a huge center is being built in San Diego to process all of the data from mobile health devices. Doctors will subscribe to this processing center. It will be interesting to see how this system will work.

      Delete
  5. This could be the one technology that is most important for our health. I would love to have a health device at work to monitor my blood pressure. I see only positives with this device. A major negative could be it could put more work on a doctor. I've talked with my personal doctor about the stress as a teacher; my doctor told me his job is equally stressful and entails a lot of paperwork. He stated he takes work home most of the time. Could these devices add more work? Technology is suppose to make things easier, but in a sense in my twelve years of teaching technology has made my job more challenging. Instead of using a literature book, grammar book, and spelling book in Language Arts, I am using the internet. I am the creator of my lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your presentation on technology addressing health issues. In the beginning of your presentation one of the benefits you stated was service to underserved and remote areas. This would be a really amazing achievement for humanity to serve poor and rural areas. It would be interesting to know if you found any information on how this could be achieved. Who would pay for this kind of technology for these masses of people? Also could there be a potential problem with equipment working in remote areas? Also with this kind of technology would there be an issue with placement by just the average person. For instance in the picture with Steven Colbert there is a doctor with a wireless Otoscope over his ear. As you are talking you mention treating children from a remote location for an ear infection. It would be interesting to learn if there is a general area that these kinds of equipment work, or if there could be false readings because people using them are just regular people? Or are they made specifically for doctors only?

    ReplyDelete