Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I think about all of the veterans, cancer survivors, and others who have lost limbs and find that the bionic hand is a step in the right direction for allowing amputees to have higher qualities of life. All of those normal tasks done on a daily basis at home would be more successful and easier to do. The bionic hand would also allow amputees to have more options with employment.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Robin. I immediately thought about all those who have lost limbs or never had them. Trying to conect this to education, it makes me think of children in third world countries or countries in eternal civil war. Life would be hard enough living in these areas with all limbs. Lose a limb in these environments and you could be looking at death due to inability. Although there was no mention of cost, I still believe that in time this technology will become inexpensive enough or funded through grants to bring these young children another chance at life in a normal capacity. I am a sucker for a happy endings. I saw a commercial where a young girl was given the gift of hearing through technology and she immediately burst into tears...I wasn't close behind. It would be nice to follow up on this project later.
ReplyDeleteAs with many current developments in technological medicines, this is a project moving in the correct direction. I think an option such as this - permitting costs in the future of course - would have a direct impact on how society sees individuals who have lost limbs. What I mean by this, is as this becomes a viable option, people of all walks of life - young and old, will have the opportunity to change their lives. It also has the ripple effect; they can begin to teach others in their communities about the technology and it will become a more common event. Imagine the effect on self-esteem and self-efficacy of people if such events were not regarded as strange or "scary," but instead just another facet of our very diverse lives.
ReplyDeleteIt amazes me that prostheses have advanced so far that we are now looking at the potential to stimulate nerves to simulate a sense of touch, a tactile reaction. It wasn’t so long ago that prosthetic hands were passive. I agree with the comments on how this technology will be beneficial to groups such as veterans. I wonder what may happen when the technology advances to a point where it is affordable and universal. Perhaps not extending to a consumer extra hand (though, wouldn’t that be helpful?), but helping with off-location work, if two devices are connected at a distance (e.g. in a dangerous or exploratory situation).
ReplyDeleteFROM ROBIN LYNCH: I can’t believe how much technology has changed in this area. It is going to be so life changing for people who have lost limbs. Being able to feel what they are picking up is really amazing and has such possibilities. It could open up new job opportunities and could improve almost every aspect of life. I see this being especially helpful with children who have lost limbs or were born without, be able to fit in and live a more normal life. It could also allow them to participate in sports.
ReplyDelete