Wednesday, February 5, 2014

27. Driverless cars (Jared C.)

Click here to view Jared's presentation on driverless cars: http://tinyurl.com/m3av9kd

6 comments:

  1. OK, so this is super cool when i think of navigating city traffic, but I would actually miss drying on fun roads if cars became totally automated. I know that will not be to start though. What are your thoughts on younger drivers? would those turning 16 and looking to get their driver's license be that much less practiced if these were common place? The driver data recording you brought up is definitely a major issue as is the insurance questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I actually like how this Audi is a mix between the two and isn't fully automated. The feature of the touch sensitive steering wheel is great. When you grab it, you are in control. I too have issues with young drivers not actually learning the necessary skills to be a good driver, BUT I compare it to the stick shift. Many people under age 30 do not know how to drive stick because they are just not made any more. There are a few, but if you buy a new car and want it, you mostly have to special order it, or it is an extra. So that is a driving skill that 20-30 years ago would be considered essential for being able to drive well. So in 20-30 years maybe knowing how to use the steering wheel won't be essential any more... WHO KNOWS!

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of the scifi film Until the End of the World where day long traffic jams were commonplace and we see the main character turn on autopilot and crawl in the back seat to sleep.
    I think it looks like a great leap forward in transportation tech, one that could save a lot of lives and property damage. My main concern would be what happens if/when the tech malfunctions. Not only would the human driver be taken by surprise, but they would be much less skilled at recovering control of the vehicle because they lack driving practice.
    Of course, these are the Luddite complaints about every new tech, "we'll forget how to do things manually"! Once it works well it will seem dangerously barbaric to try driving without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found myself thinking the exact same thing that Michael mentioned in his comment about not being able to take your car out for a Sunday drive anymore. Sometimes the ability to just get away from everything, and drive yourself around country roads is a relaxing experience. I would definitely welcome an automated car helping me with parallel parking however!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There would be/are great benefits of "smarter" cars, but I have to questions the efficiency and safety of driverless cars. I feel that this technology is far in the future but not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago, I always thought it would be cool if cars had sensors to where drivers were forced to go the designated speed limit. I wondered if car sensors could avoid head on collisions. I can picture the movie Urban Cowboy in 2034. John Travolta would sit in this black truck while it drove itself. It seems wrong. Some positives of a driverless car would be it would force people to obey the law and correct human error. A few negatives could be boredom and technology glitches.

    ReplyDelete