Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I think this device is going to be huge socially in the future. As a country we are becoming much more health conscious, and this brand, along with the Nike band seem to be everywhere. Plus connecting socially through friends adds another element to our tech obsession. Plus, I think as this product evolves, it will provide more options, including menu planning, food reminders, etc…much more interactive of a band for all your health needs. Very cool item.
ReplyDeleteI love the fitbit. Talk about getting less steps than your mom- Yea, this girl right here is always behind her mom!
ReplyDeleteI really like that you explain the technology to your students- what a fun way to keep yourself motivated and get them involved and thinking about fitness.
I first heard about the UP through a colleague who challenged me to get one. I researched and saw more benefit to the Fitbit so bought one for myself and then one for my partner and my mom! My mom uses hers for all the social aspects of it and keeps up with her friends. My partner is Deaf and LOVES the vibrating alarms :) and my cat stole mine and I haven't found it yet!
It really is a cool concept and hope people will use it to encourage others to get up and get moving. Nice job.
This device sounds promising. I think I would try it but not sure I would want to spend a hundred dollars for it. Since it tracks steps and how active you are it could motivate individuals to get more exercise. And one can track their calorie intake on the website. I do think this technology could create a positive change in individuals that use it and since it is new technology it can only get better.
ReplyDeleteI have many friends and co-workers that have a device like this one. It is amazing to see the amount of steps we take as teachers throughout the day. It can be a major motivator, when you see that others are doing more that you, because I think we all are a little competitive. I believe that this is one of the many ways we can encourage people to get moving. I do think the cost of products like these is a huge negative. If they were able to make them more affordable, they could help a greater population.
ReplyDeleteThe Fitbit looks like an amazing use for social media. The psychological power of working towards a goal with others (competition, support, and even shame :) ) have been used for decades Weight Watchers and workout environments, taking it into the social media world seems like a natural and more powerful step. Put that together with realtime logging and tracking (no fudging the numbers!) and this is a great tool.
ReplyDeleteMy wife and I love our Fitbit. We are avid users and it has impacted the way we exercise. The website is extremely useful for creating a sense of community and competition.
ReplyDeleteI have about 3 pedometers which I've used over the years here and there. When I wear one, I walk around more. I think it is motivating. I think this is the new version of that. With all the studies coming out that we just don't move enough during the day, the Fitbit is a nice reminder to get up and move. My only question is the cost - is it worth it over a $5 pedometer?
ReplyDeleteIt seems like everyone's main concern is the cost. It's a $50 up front commitment but think about all of the extra steps in a day that you take. Essentially, it encourages you to take the amount of steps that you might at the gym after work but to build it in your everyday work. I often get 10K steps in a single work day and don't feel guilty if I don't make it on a run or to the gym after work.
ReplyDeleteMy immediate response to this technology is positive and embracing. On my smart phone I have an app called "Moves" which (somehow) records my daily steps. This FitBit seems like a state-of-the-art pedometer plus Google Chat. It connects its users. I can see this technology being sought after by health and fitness enthusiasts. The service it provides seems to maintain longevity, too.
ReplyDelete