Wednesday, February 5, 2014

13. Sen.se Mother (Laura S.)

Click here to view Laura's presentation on the Sen.se Mother: http://tinyurl.com/lvrady5

5 comments:

  1. This is an interesting find. A little George Orwell and 1984. I think at this point it would be purchased more as a novelty item, based on its shape and facial design. As they improve the product, I can see how it could be used at home or in the classroom. At home, it could be used as a little security system. Attach the cookies to doors or windows to track any movement, or if you have a dog that gets loose, put one on its collar. It can also be used at school for numerous projects, especially something that has to do with data collection. I don't think that this is more intrusive than a regular security system that can display live video on a smartphone or tablet. It's a pretty creative concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This technology could definitely impact us on a daily basis. Its concept seems similar to apps that allow total home control from a single device. Although its appearance is very unique. As this technology continues to grow in popularity, it may lead to a design change to remain competitive. Ultimately, this technology will evolve home controls and security systems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I think this is an interesting new technology. As the others have stated there are some positive possible uses for this device in schools and at home, but I also agree with you that it has the potential for having some very negative uses for it. I feel that if parents use them on their children it will cause friction between them. It shows that the parents don't trust their kids and as a result the kids could lose respect for their parents. It also makes me feel that the data that it collects could be used by big companies and the government to track what we do, where we go and what products we use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting...I had to go visit the site to really try to figure out how I would use it. I agree that it could track pencil usage, or hand washings but it does not seem realistic in a classroom setting. The sensors could easily disappear when left in a classroom. I can see that it might be something used at home but for most kids it would feel like you didn't trust them. I think it might be fun at first but could quickly be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura! That is kind of creepy! I wonder where the data goes. Is it collected and sent to an outside source? There seem to be a lot of privacy issues involved. However, it could be helpful if used in the right environment. Perhaps to track items, not people. For example, you could check to make sure you turned off the iron. Or to track how many eggs are left when you are at the grocery store. There possibilities seem endless. But so the possibilities for misuse.

    ReplyDelete