Sunday, February 7, 2010

4. Intel Wireless

5 comments:

  1. This is a pretty neat idea. I mean I know currently we can connect cameras to the TV but a laptop! I think it would be great because it is almost like free projection considering most people have bigger TV monitors than computer monitors. I thank you for including the limitations because it does show that there are several issues that I feel will change consumers thoughts on purchasing the devices. If they are able to overcome the limitations I think this could be huge. Right now my friends hook everything up to projectors but projectors do not come cheap and that is often times not an option for consumers. I think if this product is able to sell, we are going to find more people sitting around at home watching TV via wireless computer connections. I say this just because most networks post episodes of their TV shows online and if we miss it when it is broadcasted, we can hop online and watch them. I think it will be more common that this occurs with the capability of the Intel Wireless. I think it will also be a fun way to motivate kids to do good work. You can always say that their work is going to be shown on TV! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bluetooth never took off for connecting devices like printers and monitors. The only thing people commonly use it for is wireless ear-pieces for their cell phones. One of the biggest drawbacks was the range, and another was speed. This new technology does not use a common standard (like wi-fi or bluetooth), so I would predict it is a dead end. However, there are plans in the works to create a replacement standard for bluetooth that has the range and speed of wi-fi (WiMedia group is still working on Wireless USB). I agree that once a standard is adopted which is both fast and has high transfer speeds, we will see cables disappear pretty quickly. This will increase connectivity between devices, as well as between users. I am quite interested in how this will affect our classrooms. It would be amazing to have students connect to the classroom computer wirelessly and software would turn their input into formats that could be used for projecting or running statistical analysis on. One other wireless technology that relates to this is the development of magnetic transfer of power, which would mean no more power cables. Power sources would be in walls and tables, and devices would only need to be within range (a few feet) to get power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been connecting my computer to the television for quite some time, but I've always had to use cables. This is a pretty neat, albeit predictable improvement. I think this represents possible changes for the future, but I don't think I'd invest in it personally just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We connect our laptop to our TV via cables, the other day I wanted to watch the video for this class upstairs on my bedroom computer because I was really sick and had trouble getting out of bed and watching and reading on the small screen. But the wall mount was in the way of the connections for the cables, so I had to leave my bed. If only I had this device!

    I do like the idea, but it is a little late in coming. With newer TV’s having internet capabilities of their own why would people purchase it all. For those of us that already have a TV and a laptop though and don’t plan on upgrading for awhile it is a quick, fairly inexpensive solution.

    I do like the benefits of the classroom, if all students had their own laptops and could display their projects easily by connecting to the projector. Right now the students save their projects in a classroom folder and the teacher puts it up or the students has to access the teacher computer to load and start their presentation. This way works fine for the most part, so this technology seems an expensive upgrade to the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool technology. I liked being able to hook my camcorder into the television and watch movies but this is really cool. However, I can see the issues with the 1080PI capability. This is however still in the beginning phase. I have recently come across some new technology myself.


    In my son's science class they take what is called "clicker" tests. Each student gets a clicker with a special number on it and they take their test from the projector at the front of the room. As the questions go by, each student clicks the clicker in response to their answer. The tests are calculated and scored immediately, no need for teacher thinking, it is all done for you. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete