Sunday, February 7, 2010

17. Digital Microscopes

5 comments:

  1. What an great tool for the classroom! I loved looking at the bug actually moving and being able to see its internal organs. I think this would be a wonderful way for students to complete labs and have a digital file for proof of their work. It definitely lends itself to virtual classroom experiences via distance learning. I think it would be great if a voice recording can be integrated for complete evaluation of student performance. My coworkers have spoken about purchasing wireless microscopes for lab experiences...I wonder how the setup works. Does it have to be hooked to a usb or can it digitally record on a SD card and then be viewed? I didn't hear that aspect covered on the videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the author of this presentation alluded to, the impact of this new technology may impact the world of science education greatly. As more and more education is becoming available online, this technology takes one more step toward allowing more access to distance science lab classes.
    The author also discussed that there may be some students who might try to cheat by forging others' work as their own. As with any other technology, there may be glitches at first, but I am sure experts will figure out how to remedy the flaws. I have learned a bit about how photographers can embed their copyright into images they take. I wonder if a similar idea could be applied?
    -Liisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be perfect for a classroom where you needed to show the students what they were looking for when they do use microscopes. The trouble I had in biology was I wasn't sure what the teacher wanted me to look for. This would at least give me a visual clue. He could have shown me as instead of just telling me what I was looking for. This truly can make science a little more visual than ever before because the science teacher can prepare slides showing magnified pictures of small organisms and things. I also like the idea of using this device to make on-line science education more available. This technological advancement is great for science and education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had thought that online education would never fully take over traditional classroom education because one needed classroom and lab time for certain subjects. It looks like I may have to reevaluate that thought. With hand-held portable microscopes and the ability to share the images students see in the microscopes, more and more teachers can offer online science classes (or at least an online component of a regular science class). This may have a much larger impact on agricultural and technical colleges. If they currently don't offer any (or many) online classes, they can transition slowly or quickly to offering a good deal of content online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright. When I first heard about the microscope, my thought wasn't much. But now,.... WOW, WOW and triple WOW!

    This product has many aspects of use. One could use it to look at skin legions or things of medical concern.

    It could be used to video tape how metal appeared before high heat use such as an engine block. Any cracks or fractures would surely be noticeable after cooling completely.

    The tiniest of micro-organisms could be texted on plants before they explode into something that will spread to other plants. Then this picture could instantly be sent to others in the field for Q and A.

    On a negative note, any industrial spy could use this to make notations of the tiniest details of certain products.

    This is definitely a piece of technology that I would use for home and profession.

    ReplyDelete