Sunday, February 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I like how you can control the screen and access all the features from the steering wheel. I looked up a demo of it on YouTube and found some other cool features as well. The demo was for both MyFord and MyLincoln touch and the demo was in a Lincoln but they said they were the same. I like the touch technology, makes the look for modern and clean. I also like that you can turn the device into a mobile WiFi by using an Air card, plus it has a spot for USB cord and SD cards. It think this feature will be very appealing to consumers and to my knowledge no other vehicle currently has this so they may have a hand up on their competition when it comes out. Very cool!
ReplyDeleteNice and I like the steering wheel feature but I watched the You Tube video and it seems like a pretty complex system. Still looks pretty distracting for the driver. Definite learning curve and I am not sure that driving a learning is the way to go maybe park it and learn. For the 'new' generation this will be much easier but older folks buying cars might not be so hip on paying for this new technology. BTW I enjoy reading maps the old fashion way-a useful skill rather than having computers do all of our thinking. I know this is where the auto market is going but at this point I still see a huge distraction issue with this technology-voice control is a more desirable feature in my opinion. Side note: I heard two twenty somethings talking the other day (young college students) maybe even younger and they were discussing the new Oregon law about phone use while driving. Exact conversation: "I think it is more dangerous now with the new laws" Ya you have to text in your lap rather than in front of you so I am looking down even more"! I think they have missed the message and point completely.
ReplyDeleteInteresting... I just heard a clip on NPR recently about this topic actually. The man being interviewed was trying to further laws that prohibit use of cell phones, eating (etc.) while driving, and he was very happy about the passage here in Oregon. Then the interviewer brought up new technologies like this one, the FordTouch and the man being interviewed was discouraged and thought they were really counterproductive as far as safety goes.
ReplyDeletePersonally though, I know that people are going to use technolgies on the road. Why not try to make them all conected and centrally located, and as easy as possible to use? It seems that it would be safer.
-Liisa
This seems like a pretty useful device for the car. I really like how safety is greatly considered with the MyFord Touch. When you are occupied with a phone or map, you are easily distracted and not only putting yourself in harms way, but also others in the car or on the road. Since this device displays engine speed, temperature, trip data, audio, phone, and navigation information it makes sense that there needs to be two screens. I just hope that having two screens is not more distracting than using a phone or looking at a map. It will be interesting to see if people respond well to this MyFord Touch.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great new thing for those that can handle all the multitasking. I personally would not be a good candidate for something like this; just connecting my Bluetooth is sometimes a distraction. I can’t imagine actually having interactions with something like this while driving. Switching applications, is a lot more involved than changing a radio station. I know that some people will be able to handle it, but I can’t help but think of the show that was on the other night; they were looking at younger people and how they could not really multitask as well as they thought they could.
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a great tool and I can see many possibilities, from taking care of errands more efficiently to getting some of those little tasks for work done. I really like the extra display you can upgrade to, bigger is always better right.