Sunday, February 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I find it really interesting that the iPad is incapable of multi-tasking considering so many people do it. I would have thought they would have included that. That is a little disappointing! I also think it is interesting there is no built in GPS. I mean it is not very hard to google directions but it would have been so much more convenient. This seems to be a more in-hand device that should be strictly used for leisure. I would have thought there would have been more to it especially since they waiting so long to announce this product. I praised this iPad a lot in the other review I did however, I as I stated, I did not take a deep look into it, I was going off the information the other person shared.
ReplyDeleteSeems like the iPad leaves a lot to be desired. Multitasking seems to be the way we are headed-this is a desired feature and I am surprised that this feature is not offered. I suppose that this is targeted more as a reader than the more extensive other products such as the iPhone that apple offers.
ReplyDeleteBe interesting to see how well it does on the market.
After reading the entourage I see a much more desirable product in the entourage-though it is more expensive than the new ipad-I suppose there is something out there for everyone. Though it seems the market is pushing to all in one while still being light weight. Looks like apple is going to more of a "every year product" new and improved! I don't like this b/c then you are just waiting to see what is going to happen next which for me makes me want to but nothing. I am not one to have to have the first and newest.
ReplyDeleteiPad looks like a bigger version of the iPod touch. Bigger keypad is a nice feature. Looks like to me that it has all the apple apps + a reader and internet compatibilities. I suppose if you are willing to drop down a several hundred dollars then it is a nice reader w/ a nice bigger keyboard but I just don't see the need to but one now. I think the entourage has better features but not as sleek and I think that is what apple goes for-sleek light weight and thin.
ReplyDeleteThis new product from apple sounds to me like the product before their next creation that will integrate the laptop, ebook, ipod, gps, phone, camera etc.
ReplyDeleteI guess the only benefits that I really see are that it seems to have a much larger screen for the itouch. I am very surprised to hear that only one application can be run at a time.
I’m sorry if I sound overly critical to all those apple enthusiasts out there, but I am not all that impressed.
-Liisa
I agree with everyone else on the fact that this device is really disappointing. The only thing that is really great about it is the fact that allows you to download apple content from i tunes and that you can sit down to read books electronically. I hate the fact that it doesn't have a keyboard. It just doesn't make since to make a bigger version of an i phone and have it do less. I don't see much future for this type of device. Although tablets are nice, I enjoy having a keyboard too and I think that people see more use for laptops that can convert into tablets as well and actually allow multitasking.
ReplyDeleteI had not realized that the iPad could be direct competition for the Kindle. Certainly the Kindle seems to be the big name in ebook readers. However, other companies such as Barnes and Noble are certainly creating their own ebook readers and trying to saturate the market. I found the following article about the Kindle and the iPad. I agree with the quote by Goldman-Sachs analyst James Mitchell. Most people are probably buying the Kindle or other device only as an ereader. I'm not sure there's a market yet for ereaders that also perform other tasks. The Kindle is 7.5 inches high. I'm not sure if the extra 2.5 inches on the iPad are a benefit or a downside. Certainly it's not as small as the Kindle and possibly not as portable.
ReplyDeleteHmmm... Interesting. The first thing that pops into my head is that it looks like an enlarged version of an iphone. Maybe I am not oo-ing and ah-ing because I prefer my Blackberry.
ReplyDeleteI would be interested to have my iphone friends take a look at this for their opinion.
I remember before we had VHS there was beta or whatever we called those HUGE disks.
Maybe this is more like "Honey! I shrunk the kids!" Everything is the same just on a larger scale. Not really impressed. Maybe if I got to use one for an hour.