Sunday, February 7, 2010

9. iType

6 comments:

  1. Interesting, Actually Apple has come out with something very similar for their new iPad. Their accessory to the iPad is just the very same thing, a full-sized keyboard that can be attached so you can type faster. I could see a classroom set of iPads and keyboards for each student to type out papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim thanks for sharing. I was just thinking that this would be a great accessory for the iPad because I know that typing on a touch screen keyboard isn't the simplest of tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ability to type is an issue that is bothersome to me when I use my mobile device so finding a solution is important. I don't know that a keyboard is the right solution, but it is a good platform to continue developing the idea. The cool thing to me is that the way we (society) gets new innovations is through these kinds of processes. It takes small steps to go long distances and small parts to make a car. At least there is innovation taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trisha-

    I agree that this product diminishes the relevance of the iPhone and iTouch. It is too big and bulky to slip into a purse or pocket. If they had a full size keyboard that could fold up that might be more practical for the consumer. I think that people will be relieved that the keyboard is not going to disappear altogether with the advancements in the touch screen.

    I can see people abusing this by bringing it to work. I know that our computers are monitored with every off topic website. It doesn't matter if you need to pay a phone bill or check a personal email account, you could get in big trouble. At $75 a pop, I can see workers bringing this in, hooking up their phones, and taking care of personal business during work hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, here are my future predictions.

    Eventually our mobile devices will be able to watch us type on a keyboard it projects on the table in front of us or it will be able to watch us type on any keyboard in our local environment.

    The other option is for the device to have very good voice recognition. That technology may eventually do away with the keyboard all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want a keyboard for an iTouch or iPhone you probably should look at other devices like a Blackberry or other smart phones. I do see a keyboard making sense for an iPad though. I know Gabriel's prediction for good voice recognition is getting closer as the voice technology continues to be improved. I have a few students who speak their papers on their desktop/laptop computers instead of typing and they like it.

    ReplyDelete