Sunday, February 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I never really took a good look at the iPad till now. I guess I was waiting to see everyone else's presentations :P This is cool. I think this would be a better tool to use in the classroom because the screen size is bigger which makes it easier to read off of. I think this product is going to turn our worlds upside down. To think that iTouches cost up to $399 - this is only $100 more but it can do more as you stated like plugging into a projector and it appears a keyboard can be hooked up as well. At this point in time, I am glad I did not buy an iTouch because I would much rather have something with a bigger screen. I like the fact that it is light and thin. This makes it extremely easy to take around. I think with iWorks available, it will be the newest and most popular way to take notes in class. Everyone is going to become very good at typing via touch screen keyboards! I do not think you are going to see people walking around and using these devices like iTouches due to the size, however, I think they will be very popular and used very commonly. I think it will be great for GPS because the screen is so much bigger! :)
ReplyDeleteI can not access this yet because I apparently do not have the right software program. I do want to make sure to put out there, though this may be explicitly stated in the documents, the iPad is not a computer. You MUST have a Mac to be able to dock and even use the iPad. I am so worried that people will think it is a tablet PC and not learn enough before purchasing one. I have more to learn about them and certainly I have resources to learn more through this assignment. With my small amount of research, it seems that the iPad is like a 9.5" iPod with a few extra features. Maybe I will find that I am totally wrong. I will post again once I get to actually view this document. Just looking at your wordle the key words make this look like it will be very interesting to read.
ReplyDeleteI finally got to see your project. I have certainly gained more insight on what it can be used for and what it can do. I still worry that consumers are not being clearly educated about it not being a computer.
ReplyDeleteThe iPad seems to be way over-hyped. It is even more limited than an iPhone. The operating system is not open, so users have to go through the app store to install software. Most of the software will be expensive. However, the hype is a good thing because it will convince other companies to try making multi-touch tablet computers that have operating systems such as Windows and Linux where freeware and open-source software is so widespread that you can find almost any kind of application you need for little or no money. I am against any product that channels all software through a central location where they can censor or limit it. Hopefully the one-laptop-per-child idea will continue to grow, but perhaps in the direction of devices similar to the iPad, except that they will have open-source (free) operating systems and software.
ReplyDeleteI did the iPad, too! I think that the iPad is actually getting a lot of bad press because of exactly what Airin mentioned: it's not a personal computer. People have expectations for the device to perform like a computer, but it's a supplemental device. It's not meant to replace a personal computer, it's meant to complement one. I think there will be ups and downs, as with the release of any new product. There isn't a very big market in between smart phones, netbooks, ereaders, and laptops. Apple may not get the sales they desire because the true market for this product is only a sliver of the entire mobile computing market.
ReplyDeleteI like what Jonan suggested about freeware, though. That would be pretty cool for consumers.
Also, I'm missing the last sentence or two of your report, Timothy! What did it say?
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of things to like about the iPad. While there may be some drawbacks this product serves as a nice in between the laptop and small hand-held devices. Although I have to admit I'd like to know why it doesn't have a webcam. I could see a device like this making digital textbooks with embedded content super easy to use and beautiful to see.
ReplyDelete