Sunday, February 7, 2010

12. iPad (3)

5 comments:

  1. I think the iPad could change our society by extending the movement of eBooks. Libraries, publishers, and other jobs that develop the tangible book might start to feel the decline as this technology spreads. I have seen the hype surrounding the iPad and think it definitely surpasses the iTouch. I did not know it had phone capabilities as well...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many devices that are trying to be the one personal computing device on the go. Apple is the obvious leader in this endeavor and the Ipad is now at the front of the pack. I’ll be curious to see how the market looks in a few years. Is the laptop going to get a smaller portion of the market? Will the pocket device or the tablet device become the primary tool?

    With cloud computing I figure eventually what specific device you buy won’t be that important. They will all simply be windows pointing to online services. The IPad’s connectivity is definitely pointing in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAH! I had written this huge long comment, didn't hit submit and went to another presentation.

    Anyway, my thought was that I could see things like iPads replacing loose papers, manuals, backpacks & briefcases. You'd just carry around your pad. If you wanted to hand write a note, you could. Or you could type it. If you needed to give someone a copy of a document, you could transfer a copy directly to their pad.

    I think the key to this technology is a near-universal distribution of the pads. It wouldn't have to be iPads (though I bet Apple is REALLY hoping for that!), but there'd need to be standards for file formats, wireless signals, etc. A lot of that already exists. Apples & PC's read each others' files for the most part.

    I also agree with Kitterman in that cloud computing makes pad technology work as well. You wouldn't want to lose all your files if your pad was broken.

    iPad reviews have only been so-so thus far, but I think Apple is really doing some forward thinking with this. And maybe they watched a few episodes of Star Trek as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited when I saw this device! I have really enjoyed learning about the iPhone and iPod Touch and how they can be implemented into the classroom and thought Apple took it one step further with the iPad. I think the use with the iPad is endless and everyone could benefit from the apps in the educational world! I like Dan's idea of transferring documents between iPads and taking notes. This device allows the user to keep a neat presentation of ones work by creating files to dump each new assignment into.

    What I liked most about the iPad versus the iPhone or iPad Touch devices was the screen. I like to see what I am doing and the iPad allows for a more user-friendly screen. I could only assume the typing service is much larger as well and this is huge for me. I get annoyed typing on such a small screen but I think this comes from inexperience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was impressed with the iPad and its many possibilities. There were several things that stood out to me. One of which was the ten hour battery life. Educationally speaking, a student could an iPad for an entire school day and then it could be charged for the next day. This option could be expanded even more with the addition of a wireless hub. In so doing, a student could use the iPad with one teacher in the morning for a writing project and in the afternoon with another teacher for a science exploration. I also was impressed with its relative size--just over a pound and about a half an inch thick. The iPad sounds like a perfect addition to any classroom!

    ReplyDelete