Sunday, February 7, 2010

20. enTOURage eDGe

7 comments:

  1. This looks really cool! :) Does it have a physical QWERTY keyboard? If so, I think this would be the technology needed in the classroom. It seems to be portable and appears to have all the capabilities needed by students to be engaged and motivated to work. The price is also decent. I am sure there is a way to monitor what the students are doing on the device. So I do not think it will be as big of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I really like this entourage dDEe. I went on the website and did the demo and I really like the functions it has. I agree this would be ideal for a college student. I like how on one side of the device you could have a document open in which you can highlight, make comments and acutally write. While on the other you can be accessing the internet, yeah for multitasking (something the iPad lacks). I wonder as well if it has a keyboard, because at some point writing especially on a smaller screen could be less appealing. I would like to try this when it comes out an see if it is as user friendly as it seems on their site. Thanks for finding this and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the new enTourage is pretty cool. Giving the iPad a run for their money. Much better feature than the new ipad. Though the iPad is a little sleeker the feature of the entourage are too cool to pass up! I see this as a tool for college students though would be great to have in the k-12 classroom too. For the price and the features I see the tool working for the college student but might be a little too pricey for the classroom at this time (k-12) if you are just looking for a reader with internet capabilities there are less expensive ways to go.
    Thanks for sharing- good information !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went back and again compared the iPad to the entourage and the entourage can do so much more for about the same amount of money. It is worth the little extra bulk to have the entourage. It reminds me a lot of my portable DVD player as far as size and wt and I have no problem toting that around. I like the note taking capabilities(pencil) but the keypad may be a little difficult for larger hands-like mine. But you can store data here and that is nice! mini computer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I have to say, that while I was reading about this device it sounded to me like a smaller version of a laptop. I am getting kind of tired of hearing about all these new devices that do the same thing as other devices that are already out, but with a twist here or there. However, when I looked at the demo, I was kind of impressed. It isn't what I was thinking it was, at all!
    I agree with all of those people who think that a keyboard might be helpful as well.
    I really like the fact that you can write on the text itself, rather than having to note somewhere else. Someone also commented that it would be cool if it could interface with a Smartboard. That could be REALLY interesting!
    When these drop in price, as I am sure they will at some point, they might really be something that could be used in the classroom.
    -Liisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cost is slightly off-putting. I agree with you that college students could use the enTourage, especially when going to and from classes. I also see how this could be useful in a classroom. However, I'm not sure that teachers could sell their districts on using this technology as opposed to one that could interface with a Smartboard. I'm also not sure that this would be appropriate for younger students. Personally, I'm interested in seeing how this technology develops and possibly getting an updated enTourage once it has been on the market for a little while and they have worked out any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what I have seen so far, I really like the enTourage! After reading about it and trying out the demo, this is something that I would love to have and I also think it could be extremely useful in the classroom. I really like the idea of the enTourage taking the place of textbooks. Afterall, who likes to lug all of their textbooks from class to class? Thank you for sharing this new technology! I'm going to keep my eyes open for it :)

    ReplyDelete