Sunday, February 7, 2010

15. Boxee

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an example of the inevitable merging of technologies. You see some elements already: People connecting and using their HDTV's for their computer displays. Vizio recently came out with their Connected TV. Video game systems incorporating facebook, messaging and other traditionally Internet applications.

    I wouldn't be surprised if someday soon, instead of a desktop or laptop computer at home, you'd often see keyboard floating around the living room like a remote control. Or take it a step further, and not even a keyboard, but some other "human interface devices."

    Sorry, I double posted and had to delete one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it is a continued merging of technologies. I think innovators of new technologies are doing their best to incorporate all aspects of tehnologies into the smallest unit possible. A few decades ago, people would have thought these possibilities were very sci-fi...but I don't think you are too far off in proposing "floating keyboards" (perhaps virtual) or "human interface devices" could be possible.

    I also think it is very important that these type devices are used as extensions to lessons and not a substitution for content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Boxee could be such a cool addition to a classroom as a perfect companion to a movie. I could envision students taking notes, responding to other students or the content of the movie. All of this could be viewed by others within the class. I wonder if we could use this technology with streaming media too in addition to TV programming.

    By the way, I am ready to trade in my laptop and TV for one device. I love the idea of melding them together and have one "remote" for all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if having a Boxee will also reduce our current cable bill. Currently I pay separate bills for the Internet and cable television through one provider. I personally think that a boxee along with on-line television would be a great alternative to paying more money to get two separate services. I also like the fact that it allows multitasking by showing the TV program and other applications as well. I not really good at playing and working at the same time but this would be the device that allows us to do that. As mentioned before, if it gets consumers to pay less because they don't have to pay a cable bill, then I think that this technology will become very beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While interesting, this isn't how I see spending my money. It seems to do the same things as other electronic items that we already have. Yes, it would be cool to send messages to friends on the tv screen, but how about a phone call? That selling point seems to just remove us even more from connecting with other individuals.

    Isn't it possible already to tie your computer and tv together?

    ReplyDelete