Sunday, February 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
Yeah, this is a neat technology, but the potential for misuse is plain. You asked a good question: "But if you can’t trust your young adult to be driving without going to this extreme, should they be driving in the first place?" Probably not! Either that, or there are some family dynamics that need worked out.
ReplyDeleteI'd certainly be concerned about the government misusing this type of technology. If it's widely distributed, who's to keep them from keeping track of where I'm going and how fast I'm getting there? Or what if I'm going somewhere to do something the government does like (not illegal, but maybe politically)? Would the technology be able to simply stop me from getting to my destination?
Also, I think it's important to point out that there are abusers in our society. They prey and control their victims. This would give them even another level of control.
The technology is cool, but I'd be concerned about the unintended uses.
I see the points you both have listed but think of it more as a "peace of mind". I know someone that uses this device for his adopted niece. They felt like it just allowed them the opportunity to make sure she stays honest. I don't see this being a bad thing nor do I see it as a replacement of parenting....I see it more of letting you know what might happen behind closed doors. Let's face it, we may think we have that little angel (boy or girl), but when faced with peer pressures, etc. of friends while in the car, wouldn't it be nice to know they are staying safe. I think this device is great for parents who work longer hours because they can always have that extra eye just in case.
ReplyDeleteLet's take this one step further...would it be nice if someone kidnapped your teen driver and you have the ability to track them? Think of how many times your children are out after dark for work. It could happen and this device could serve as a great tool "just in case".
I'm sorry...I said you both have listed. I meant in Dan's response and also Spellman covered in the Show and Tell.
ReplyDeleteWow...I see both sides to your posts...As a teen I would have been greatly offended if my parents had something like this installed in my vehicle. (It always seemed my dad had a built in radar anyway!:-)...My kids are all young, so I might change my mind over the next few years, but I have to think, are we going too far? Many gadgets feed off of the fear of parents or society that live in the "What if...". I don't think I would get it as a precaution...and if I didn't trust my child to some degree, I wouldn't let them have my keys. Trust me, I know my children aren't always angels now, so I know they won't be as teens either.
ReplyDeleteI agree that I also fear the intentional or unintentional misuse of this type of technology. In the wrong hands or big-brother mentallity, this would be unnerving!
Dan, you bring up a good point of possible use by those who abuse others. Can you imagine the new height of abuse this could cause in battered spouses, etc?
Tiwi is one more gadget for us "hover" parents. As a parent of a practicing driver, I find this device intriquing. I agree with the overbearing potential that this may have. I also wonder if my daughter would ever speak to me again if I required the use of this. :)
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I also wonder about its expanded use in the classroom. Could a device like this be used as a Progress Monitoring technology? Can you imagine a student reading aloud and the "Tiwi" comments on pronunciation, lack of following punctuation or rate of reading? I smile at the thought but I do wonder if we are moving in that direction.
As cindy and you have pointed out, these devices really encourage us to become helicopter parents. Still, I might use a device like this in the future when my child drives if my he gaves me a reason to distrust him. It might be an alternative to driving him around so he can get to work and school. As a parent, I'm constantly teaching my 5 year old the importance of honesty and trust and what happens when we lose someone's trust. I also teach this to my students too. I remember when I was teenager, a device like this would certainly invade my privacy and would send a direct message that my parents don't trust me. However, if I deliberately did something to make them distrust me, I might have accepted this device as an alternative to not driving at all.
ReplyDeleteThis might be a great device for schools with driver education programs too. The technology is cool. However, there are certainly bad usages for it.