Sunday, February 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I really liked how this could flip into a tablet. I think this was created with the teacher in mind! :) Now we don't have to be stationary at the front of our class with our laptops. We can travel across the room and get closer to any behavior problems, while still teaching. It is amazing to see how the laptop and iPhone are evolving and developing. I think this technology will be a threat to video and book stores for sure. Newspaper carriers would also see a decline. I think it could also be a hazard with driving and it might need to be added to the no cell phones while driving laws.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I agree with Katie. This is pretty cool. It's like the best of both worlds. I type much faster than I write, (it's also MUCH more legible!) so having the keyboard is key for me. No pun intended.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I like being able to flip it over like a tablet. I've seen tablets that have a kind-of-a keyboard docking station, but it's admittedly rather clunky. And you can't just pick up the whole thing and wander around with it.
Now, if there was a way to flip it back around and type on it without having to set it on a surface, that'd seal the deal for me! Or maybe if voice recognition become more reliable? I might be getting ahead of myself!
I like the touch screen option and the ability to use an actual keyboard. This has been my biggest complaint with mobile technology....the keyboards! I can't seem to type on the touch screens very well and I don't have big fingers. I think some of that comes with not being familiar with the devices but I am a fan of the touch screen/keyboard combo. I think this device could serve well in the classroom. I can see something like this being used for ebook readers, notes, assignments, and research. The price is attractive enough where I could see district with a larger budget purchasing these over textbooks. However, I can see most of these newer technologies coming into our schools due to funding and budget restrictions. I have a feeling, districts like the one my kids are in may never see this technology because we don't have the budgets to justify it. I think we will continue to fall behind in the technology world because of our school budgets.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with everyone's views...I think it nicely integrates the keyboard which the ipad only has as an accessory. As stated in the Show and Tell...I can definitely see a time when teachers move around and grade at the same time. Battery life is a little lacking, but I agree with time, this won't be a problem for such items.
ReplyDeleteHow amazing to educate at a time where so many new tools and options are available to us! I agree with many of the uses that have been suggested before me in this blog. I have another to add.
ReplyDeleteBecause of the flipscreen and mobility of this device, students could be mobile as we would need. We could go outside to note sciencific details or math concepts. Students could also type a short story based on their surroundings which are sometimes lacking the the tradition classroom. If you couple this technology with the a "big brother" software like Synchroneyes and you could expand your options even further. I get energized just thinking about it all!