Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
Lisa, this sounds like a neat tool for health and wellness – being able to see a representation visually, of how I’m feeling internally would be an amazing way to figure out how to control stress.
ReplyDeleteI’m not so sure about using my brain to control a wheelchair or other device, however… what if you had fleeting suicidal thoughts? Would it run the little Rascal™ right into the Grand Canyon? Scary, really, to think of what we see onscreen being controlled by our brain impulses – I’m imagining Idiocracy, where the lawyer is strapped into his chair/toilet watching endless re-runs of “Ow My Balls” and pornography on a giant TV screen.
I had thought about doing my Show and Tell on bio-feedback, but I wasn't thinking to this extent. My first thought was how younger kids might be able to use this to learn how to concentrate, and especially to either remain calm, or calm themselves in certain situations.
ReplyDeleteYour point about this being propietary, and at the mercy of the inventing company is a bit sobering. And I wonder if the information gathered from these devices could be sent, sold, or used in some way without the user's permission. Just one more point of (very) personal data.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the background and story line you chose. The colors are so pretty and the design is elegant. The concept of MUSE reminds me of this game that you have to make a ball go through hoops using your mind. It is like this video about how much the person is concentrating.
This technology is so amazing and it is so mind blowing how far technology is coming and to see what can be done using our minds, figuratively and literally.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your honesty in presenting how this technology is supposed to work, the benefits it may have, but also how it still very early in the works and how the technology is still in the early stages. I think because the technology you are enlightening us with seems as though it could be hard to imagine something like this (which happens all of the time with new technology) that you lay all of your thoughts out on the table so people trust that you or whomever presents this is truly trying to help people with better health.
As a graduate student with a full-time job, I think that something like this could come in very handy to use myself! Whether it gives me peace of mind or lends me a 'helping hand,' it is designed to assist me in my lifestyle.
I can see how this could also benefit students in my classroom, especially one in particular, who has a very bright mind - just not a body that is able to show his physical capabilities or even expressions to go along with it.
I also wanted to mention what a fantastic job you did with your Prezi. I haven't used the program for a while now, but you have reminded me of this newer type of technology that can enhance a presentation immensely! Nice work!!
Cortney