Wednesday, February 6, 2013

5. 3D Printers (Dean D.)

Click here to download Dean's presentation on 3D printers: http://tinyurl.com/ao72jdx

1. Download the zipped file
2. Click to unzip it
3. Open the "3d" folder that is created
4. Double-click on the .pptx file to watch the slideshow

2 comments:

  1. Dean -- this is a revolutionary technology, that's been around a while now, but I still have not had any hands on time with one.

    The first 3D print job I ever read about, showed a user printing a rubber duck. The last 3D print job I read about showed a user printing out illegal gun parts. I'm not sure what that says about the tech... except that it's awesome in the true sense of the word.

    Sure, devices like CNC machines can take code and spit out metal objects -- but those are hundreds of thousands of dollars and require machine shop space and extensive training.

    These printers are another thing entirely. Again, we find an emerging technology that is so powerful and vast, we are only beginning to understand its capabilities.

    -- Sam B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean,

    I like that you shared a variety of ways that 3D printing is being used today in your presentation, including the hyperlinks to more information! I can easily see how this technology has and will benefit the medical field, and its implications for education seem limitless. I hadn’t thought about creating things to be sold for fundraising purposes. How much does one of these printers cost? I would imagine pretty hefty, similar if not more expensive than the school copiers. If it were economical, then I’d like to have one that clones manipulatives and measuring tools (like rulers and protractors).

    P.S. I could not view what ever image was embedded on the first (introduction) slide of your presentation.

    ReplyDelete