Wednesday, February 6, 2013

10. Augmented Reality (Efrain A.)

Click here to view Efrain's presentation on Augmented Reality: http://tinyurl.com/ae469r5

7 comments:

  1. Very cool! I had not heard of this yet.
    One question I had was, if I see a display in the hallway which uses this technology, and I have my ipad, how does the information "load" on my machine. If you put content over a picture, then how does my ipad recognize that the picture has content?
    I love the idea of having students make videos to explain or describe their written ideas, whatever subject it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the application creates something similar to a CCMM code from the picture. I attached a link to an article about CCMMs at the end of the reply. The videos are uploaded to the app server and the application used the picture along with location data to know what video to attach to what picture. Hope this explanation helps.


    http://threeminds.organic.com/2009/03/a_new_code_for_marketers_and_r.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great presentation, and I'm interested in the academic applications - I had seen something similar on TED talk that included a sleight of hand performance. This seems like a great way to make a static object more interactive and value-added. I could also see that students' creativity could take a negative or humorous turn in creating their own overlays... but even the act of creating the overlays seems like a great learning experience for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lisa. I think I saw that TED talk also, was it the one with the magician? He has done a couple of TED talks, my favorite is the one on electricity. In order to get these all over my classroom, it is probably best to have my students do them as assignments, good idea!

    http://www.ted.com/talks/marco_tempest_the_electric_rise_and_fall_of_nikola_tesla.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Efrain,

    This is so cool. Kids would be pulled into the lesson and have so much more interest in doing their assignments if they were able to do something with this. It is amazing that it only recognizes the picture to where it is programmed.

    I can see where this application can get tricky with making sure students did not do anything inappropriate and relevant to the actual assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Efrain,
    First, I liked your Prezi! I haven't used it in a while and this presentation and the one before makes me want to get back into using it again. The robot you created in it was so cool!
    Also, I was a bit jealous of the hardware in the classroom, but it didn't distract me too much. If I had just one - the iPad OR the Smartboard - I would be happy!
    I think this app could be pretty cool if students were using the same picture to create a poem or song that shows describes their emotions in a creative way. It would be great if they used a famous painting or a piece they had been talking about in their art class. In social studies, there are many primary sources that could be loaded and used to use in this app too.
    Great job on your presentation!!
    Cortney

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Leanna,
    I am not very sure of what you mean by "find match up the videos with the paper pictures." The matchup happens after only a second or two. Once these are created, they are stored on server and are useful until deleted by the creator. Thank you for your comment.
    Efrain

    ReplyDelete