Click here to view Leanna's presentation on Pedestrian Power: http://tinyurl.com/act6e4g
(Note: this will download a PowerPoint presentation which you should be able to open in PowerPoint to play.)
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Leanna, the first thing I thought of when I watched your presentation, was Edward G. Robinson in the dire, near-future world of Soylent Green; with the bulb in his cramped apartment flickering, he jumps on his exercycle and starts peddling furiously, generating his own electricity so he can read a little longer.
ReplyDeleteNeat technology, though – but how do you think it compares to solar power for output per square foot and expense? It would be an interesting comparison… and solar panel tech doesn’t require us to walk (I’m thinking Wall-E now!).
That is a good point and one that has been thought about. Although, what about a combination of power sources? In some places where solar power is not easily obtained and stored, it may be worth it to think about this technology and many, many more ways of using this besides just human power. The application and release of any pressure could be explored. We will continue to search.
ReplyDeleteI am tempted to gush about how amazing this presentation is, but then people might think I am biased or something. And the reply above is actually from Leanna, but it was posted with my log in name.
ReplyDeleteThis is a neat idea. Another example of how if you slowly work toward a goal, a little bit can eventually add up to a lot!
The reliability of this energy seems like that of solar or wind: it isn't always on or available. But it can be an important piece of the puzzle.
I think of how many times I have watched a child who is being hyper and energetic, and saying, "If only we could harness that energy..." Maybe now we can.
I love seeing innovative approaches to power generation, and think that this passive collection setup has a lot of value. It does seem that the cost and efficiency is still out of reach for municipalities. I would love to see these kinds of prototypes made available in a discovery lab of some kind - the company has proprietary rights, but it would be ideal to expose students to a "out of the box" ideas for energy, so that they are ready to take on new innovations once they graduate.
ReplyDeleteWe're getting a new Ed Building in a couple of years and will be sharing with the PE faculty. Seems like we should be able to build in a way of capturing all of that energy from exercising. My dream would be to have computer labs hooked up to exercise bikes so we could generate energy AND get exercise, all while working. And maybe our hallways should also capture our students' energy.
ReplyDeleteLeanna,
ReplyDeleteWalking in order to create energy would be quite an amazing way to get people to walk more and a helping our planet at the same time. It is a little disappointing that there is not more information but I understand that they want to everything on the down low because it is in its early stage.
People will also like that it is not going to be terribly expensive. I have noticed that people are more willing to embrace something new.
Leanna,
ReplyDeleteI think this new technology, at the very least, could be a great way to get the community involved in a project that we can all work on together. I am often amazed at how much people want to be a part of a community - just think, flash mobs, Facebook, etc....
What better project to have to work on than free energy production! Although this seems as though it may just be a project that has nothing more than a gathering of community as its benefit, I think that is still enough in itself and also think it could spur many other ideas to compound on the resources produced.
Thank you for sharing,
Cortney