Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
Natalie, this is a really neat technology -- I'm surprised I haven't come across this before as I deal with a lot of streaming video in education. I'll have to look into this!
ReplyDeleteI think the key here is the live uploading of content over Wi-fi/3g. That's the issue right now in video streaming, that there is always a delay from getting the footage in the field, editing it, re-rendering it, and uploading. Most of the time, editing is required, but in certain cases, like live events, this would be perfect.
Each year we live-stream graduation, and it's a huge ordeal, with multiple cameras, a giant encoding box and hard wires to the network to be able to upload live (with a short delay in-case of streakers!) This would be perfect for that!
-- Sam
That seems to be a great way to communicate in real-time. Simple, streaming. I agree Skype is cumbersome. This could provide real time engagement as you noted between classrooms and teachers. I agree with your assessment that it could (and will) be abused, and as with all technology, that issue remains. But consenting adults could have a blast! Sorry I had to go there...Bobby
ReplyDeleteNatalie,
ReplyDeleteThis piece of technology rocks—assuming it doesn’t freeze and can handle lots of movement! It looks super user-friendly, which is a great selling point for me.
I love the pen pals and team teaching idea. When thinking about this technology as a handheld device for live streaming, I agree that this would make communication more fun, like skyping. If this technology was common, I could envision it being used for demonstrations—similar to taking virtual reality field trip.