Friday, February 10, 2012

24: Class Dojo (Fox)

Click here to view screencast: http://screencast.com/t/zhBgzeAz

7 comments:

  1. Ive never heard of this site before. The school I student taught at had a behavior system monitor like this, but it was made out of paper and different color cards. I see the positive reinforcement and negative sides as well. With doing these kinds of systems I observer that is is easier for teachers to take points away and focus on the negative behavior because it's disrupting the class, instead of the kids that are always on task and doing what they are suppose to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting way to digitize what appears to be systems already in place. I love the idea that you can track trends this way! What an incredible way to quantify what we all talk about and attribute to instinct (e.g. the friday behaviors before holiday breaks). It would really be cool to ingrate this with a progress report, so that all parties (including students) could visually see if there's a correlation between behavior and graded performance.
    I could see two improvement here, however. First, it wasn't explained and didn't appear obvious, but there is a lack of customizability in the selection fields. Second, adding a teacher self-report could help correct the curve for subjectivity.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, my super slow internet will not let me comment on this video presentation. I am going to try and explore "Class Dojo" myself, as it looks interesting just from reading the previous two comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting tool. I can see how having this in an electronic format like this would help you, the student and the family understand how individuals behave over time and how you’re evaluating students over time. I’m not sure there’s much more engagement on the student’s end of things – I don’t know if the software allows students to engage in their own reviews and self-assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic tool for the tracking classroom behaviors, which is something that is often difficult to do. It's easy to pick out the problem students in your own classroom, but to actually be able to apply statistical data when conferencing with the principal and parents would be very powerful. On the other end of things, tracking the good behaviors is also really beneficial when trying to accurately reward students for those behaviors.

    This would have been a good way to track my own classroom behavior program that I once used. This would also be easy to translate into a classroom money system that would then allow students to earn rewards based on their behavior (maybe a classroom dollar for every positive mark and a classroom dollar deducted for every negative mark). I utilized www.smartpiggybank.com to track my classroom money system, but this would be a great additional tool.

    As Melanie mentioned in the comment above, this would be really great to show the students themselves so they could reflect on their classroom behaviors (good or bad).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this as a behavior management tracking system. First, I think the kids would love the graphics. Currently my school has a card system so they familiar with seeing feedback on how they are doing for the day, however I think they would enjoy this much more. I love the way you can track your own responses with the ability to see your positive to negative feedback. This isn't something that you can get as easily our of a card system. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not been in a classrooom for a while, so I am not sure how behaviors are tracked these days. However, this seems like a nice, neat, and efficient way to do it. This definitely would have come in handy when I was monitoring my "special" student several years ago. It would have been a nice way to show their parents what was going on in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete