Friday, February 10, 2012

21: X0-3 (Grooms)

Click here to download: http://tinyurl.com/78thg3s

6 comments:

  1. Never heard of this device either. I think it's neat how we are changing technolgy and pieces like this are incorporated to help. I know there a lot of different tablets out there, but the cheapest and what fits best with the needs is going to be chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    This seems like a great idea. I did my show and tell on tablets and I saw some that looked like this, but it didn't occur to me they could be budget ones since they look so cool. It seems to me the future in tablets with be having lighter, cheaper and more durable tablets. To replace textbooks they don't need to be too cutting edge in terms of what they do. I don't think students being able to access too much content is a big problem. They already have computers at school, so I doubt a tablet will be much worse. I think this could be great for the health of our children. I'm amazed that we still expect kids to cart books back and forth to school. My guess is that tablets will become very cheap and the money will be made on the programs that you run on them. We need to replace textbooks, they are too limited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a widely available low cost tablet that can do some of the basics you describe in your review – textbooks, simple internet searching, and email. However, I’ve heard a lot of negative press surrounding the one laptop per child program and I’m not sure I agree with the application of these low cost tablets in this kind of format and program. I found an interesting blog with an interesting satirical cartoon about the program: http://scienceblogs.com/worldsfair/2009/01/the_problems_with_one_laptop_p.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. The low cost definitely sounds appealing, especially for a district that would like to reduce costs to implement technology. But with going with a low-cost option, I would suggest doing a pilot that tests the XO-3 to it's capacity, so make sure that it can and will stand up to abuse it will go through in a classroom. And then there's the idea of students actually being able to take tablets home. You mentioned firewalls and students wouldn't be blocked if they took the device home. The KUNO tablet is built on the Gingerbread OS and it has the capabilities of actually keeping the firewall settings installed on each device, even if it isn't connected to a specific network. I wonder if the XO-3 will have the same capabilities or options, especially if they are marketing to education. Do you know what OS the XO-3 comes with?

    The low cost will encourage those that do not currently have a computer device to join the 21st century. It sounds exciting to have a table available that is halfway affordable. Now all it has to do is work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris,
    I have never heard of this tablet, but it looks very cute and appealing to children. This would be a wonderful way for children who do not have access to computers to come up to speed with the rest of their classmates.

    I do have a concern about the unlimited internet access that they would have however. Especially with the younger students. I am curious if any parent training would be given before the tablets were sent home with the students. Would/Should the parents of these students be made to sign some kind of release form before their child can have one of these tablets? And what is to stop these parents from using the tablet for their own personal needs?

    I think these tablets could be beneficial to schools, but I think a lot of details would need to be worked out before the students could actually use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this model of tablet either but I am all for the tablets in the classroom game. I really think that having this technology for the classroom is going to be a great, cost-effective, organizational, addition to any classroom. They are compact and versatile, potentially allowing our students to use them as textbooks (or any book for that matter), testing platforms, research tools, organizers (for scheduling, memos, note-taking, assignments, etc) and so much more. Heightened durability and lower cost make tablets a perfect solution to so many classroom problems both for teachers and students.

    ReplyDelete