Friday, February 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I did my presentation on 3D printing as well. I think students will benefit from it and look at new design techniques. It will be an amazing tool that I wish would cost less. We no longer have to look at flat images, we now have the ability to print it out and look at it from all the different angles.
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting concept. I can see where it would be a great tool for teaching geometry and some mathematical concepts, but the cost presents a huge barrier.
DeleteThis just amazes me how far technology has really come to make a printer that prints 3d objects. I agree with Sam, it would be a good asset to teaching geometry and such, but the cost of one of these is outrages.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love this new technology, the video really shows you the entire process and gives you a concrete idea of what exactly 3D printing really is. A few problems I see with this technology is that, like you said, it can be time consuming, very costly, and I also believe that for designers, builders, etc. it may make it easier for them to create something but they're not using their skills to draw out the 3D models and go through the process that they would learn in school to start their own creation of a 3d model. Lastly, another problem that I see is the fact that not everyone can get their hands on this technology, hopefully someday they can make it to where the average consumer can afford it.
ReplyDeleteShelley,
ReplyDeleteI also did my presentation on this gadget, but I like your presentation better. Nicely done!
This was the first time I ever heard about this product. I was amazed about what it can do. I think that if the cost were to go down dramatically it would be a great tool to have in the classroom. I think that this is something that teacher could really benefit. They could make sure that that they have a 3-D visual to show students when talking about different subject matters. I think that the benefits would be endless. Teachers wouldn’t have to worry about not having a class set of manipulates, they could now create them. The challenges I see is cost and the time that it takes to learn how to use the machine and how long it takes to get the object printed. Other than that I think that if I could I would jump at the idea of having one of these in my classroom one day. I think that the students are the ones that will win from this and the manufactures that make manipulates are the ones that will lose. I feel as long as the students are the ones that winners from it, that this is a great product.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely like this new product! I like how students can learn new ways of designing. I also like how it's building objects without making noise. However, I don't like how it takes time to print objects and the fact that It's expensive. I also think that it would be better if they made a nicer outside look.
ReplyDelete