Friday, February 10, 2012

32: OLPC X03 Tablet (Barnes)

Click here to download: http://tinyurl.com/6voutpb

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Debra. Why aren't U.S. schools looking into this tool? It sounds durable, practical, and has what many schools are looking for. It doesn't sound like the tablet should be shrugged off so quickly. I was at a workshop recently where a teacher admitted that her ipad is in a drawer because she is worried the students will break it. Then what is the point of having one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra--it seems that what this tablet could do, especially for elementary students, is worth pursuing. At $100 a laptop, they could take them home--because they are solar powered, the charging system alone could make a great lesson in alternative forms of energy--and because the charge lasts about two hours, there wouldn't be the issue of students refusing to log out. This is something that could be stored in the classroom, too, as it wouldn't bring much to anyone who stole them. I think you are correct to point out that this could be a real solution, especially for younger grades and low-income districts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet I could get a line-up of students waiting for their turn to charge the tablets during break time...see who can crank out the most power. ;)

    I agree that this looks like a good, cheaper alternative to the iPad. As with any technology, most students can rise to the occasion when their are guidelines set in place for proper handling and use. My students handle my iPad with great care, as I would expect them to do with a class set as well. But, I can see the comfort level of having a less expensive item in the hands of all students (compared to losing $500 from an iPad).

    For schools looking to level out the technology divide between the wealthy and poor, this would be a good way to get tablets/laptops in to the hands of many of their students who do not have technology at home. It will become easier and easier for those students to access free wi-fi hot spots as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the comments above: affordable technology, environmental friendly and open sourced. It has all the ingredients to succeed but… why “first world” schools are not going for it?

    A suitable economic explanation can be offered by Thorstein Veblen, who introduced in 1899 the concept of “conspicuous goods and services”. Basically, it means that when we consume, we try to fulfill our needs but with certain goods or services, we also try to show our wealth and/or social status. So, a school may not be considering using these devices to avoid being classified as user of a “third world” device.

    I am sure it is not the only explanation but it makes some sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an amazing piece of technology. The things that I like in this technology are its cost, size and solar power energy as battery for this technology. I, also, like the idea of the X03 tablet specifically for use in third world countries and I can see that the X03 tablet has features that fit their environment such as solar power energy feature. However, regarded using the X03 tablet instead of iPad in U.S classroom, I would say that nothing compered with iPad tablet. I think iPad is more powerful for using in educational purposes than this X03 tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this tablet has great features for a cheap price. I think it can work great for Elementary school level. I liked that it comes with a solar charging panel as an alternative source energy. I think it would work perfectly for outdoor classroom since it was designed for classes without walls. And the hand crank makes it so obvious that it was designed for third world countries.

    ReplyDelete