Friday, February 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I am very impressed by this technology. I had no idea that this was something that would actually become real. When i watched the video i thought no way could that machine clone the wrench and the wrench actual work. I think that industries that make small tools or small tools will have a negative impact because if people can just buy one of the objects and go clone 30 of them, they will lose profit.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this, it really impressed me.
Eliane, this is really amazing. I had to watch the video to really understand what you meant by printing in 3-D. I couldn't conceive that anything that wasn't flat could be removed from that printer...
ReplyDeleteNow--do we know what the resin is made from?
What happens if we forget how to make the originals?
We get all your design information, depending on the manufacture, from an open source link on the web. There they have a variety of things you can pick to print. I was just as in amazement when I saw it. This is truly taking printing to a whole new level.
ReplyDeleteFascinating new technology! The entire time I was reading about 3D printing, I was racking my brain about what use could it be to the average individual? How solid is the object? Resin is pretty strong. What about waste, cleaning and toxicity?
ReplyDeleteThe two points you made about creating a 3D copy of something made a lot of sense. An engineer being able to build a model or prototype to physically modify it and make it better would be good use. Replacing a broken part for a temporary or cosmetic fix also makes good sense.
Nice presentation Eliane. I have on only one suggestion. For people with waning eyesight, the black on read was really hard to read. The light blue worked great though.
I totally agree and apologize for that. :)
ReplyDeleteJust as the internet has changed the way copyrights are thought about, with creative commons in place, will 3-D printing affect the copyrights of physical objects?
ReplyDeleteIt would seem that one would eventually be able to reproduce a product in its original design in mass quantities.
This technology is indeed amazing. I had to watch the video to full grasp what this 3D printing technology can really do. I was astounded when they were able to just pull out the wrench from the powder, it seemed like nothing was in there. I also loved the fact that if you needed the product to be harder you just add in what I guess would be called "hardeners", so in a sense you could have an actual wrench that you can use! I do believe that this technology would benefit all of us if we were able to get our hands on one of these printers because of the cost and efficiency. We wouldn't have to wait for something to be created, we wouldn't have to draw and plan out a product, or even spend a lot of money. However, I do wonder how much one of these printers would cost. Also, I loved your presentation, but I had a difficult time with the color scheme.
ReplyDeleteI never heard about this. It is amazing that how this technology could print in 3D objects. I think by this technology we do not need to buy objects since this technology could clone and create these objects.
ReplyDelete