Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
You displayed a very thorough approach to your research and displayed it very effectively as well. Ultimately, our entire school district is still on Windows XP, and I doubt they will be upgrading soon enough to take advantage of this neat technology before it becomes obsolete. One interesting loser in this could in fact be anyone with adequate, but outdated PC's. I find it hard to believe that Chinese can only afford a smartphone. A smartphone with contract costs well over what a cheap netbook computer costs, at least here in the US. Perhaps they are assuming that a person requires a phone as well, and a smartphone is not much more than a traditional cell phone. I wonder if it is a certain image boost to be seen with a mobile device as opposed to a netbook (also somewhat mobile, but without the phone).
ReplyDeleteSiri,
ReplyDeleteYou found an interesting topic and you covered it well. I liked the way you summed up the pros and cons and of the Apps. The links to the videos were helpful too. I like the idea of using the Apps on my computer, but alas I won't have Windows 8 on my computer. However, by the time it comes out I might be ready to upgrade. I'm also thinking about a Mac which already has App capability. When you buy a Mac you get an account for Apps. When I did my review, I discovered that you can put Kindle, Nook and iBook Apps on your PC. It's pretty cool because it allows you to access your books on the computer, save your spot and then continue on using your tablet or your phone. The add made me wonder how well the Apps would work on a computer since most of them are designed with a touch screen in mind. It could give an advantage to the PC's since they are already doing touch screen computers and Apple seems to have decided that's not the way to go.
Hi Pete,
DeleteBlueStack is powered by Android, so it has just as many Apps available as Apple Apps, and even the ones you mentioned. The beta testing was originally done in Windows 7, so I think it might even work on Windows 7, it's just coming pre-installed on some Windows 8 computers.
It's amazing how quickly apps have taken our society by storm. The great thing about apps is that anyone is capable of creating and distributing them. This technology provides a significant benefit to individuals who don't have access to a smartphone or tablet, but could still utilize apps. The biggest challenge I see with this technology is the cost necessary to upgrade to Windows 8. In an educational setting the cost to provide access to this technology for each student, or even each teacher would be a challenge in our societies current economic state. The other challenge I could see occurring would be censoring student access to apps that don't provide educational benefit. When internet access started becoming a common practice in schools, the initial challenge was keeping students from playing games or writing e-mails to one another. I could see a similar issue with apps. The shift in our society would go from utilizing individual websites and computer programs to do a multitude of tasks, to apps. These apps tend to be cheaper than computer programs, but the technology to access them is slightly more expensive.
ReplyDeleteThis is interesting to me and points out to me how much I have to play catch up. I don't have any apps so while this seemed like it would be great technology for someone who used apps, I am not seeing how it will currently impact my life. I will, however, pass this along to my son-in-law and daughter as they could find immediate use for it.
ReplyDeleteI want to compliment you on your excellent presentation. Not only is it clearly well thought out but it gave me great insight into both the pros and cons. Kudos. Now, I love the idea of having access to the same apps on the desktops at school as I do on my mobile devices. The biggest problem I see is that for my district, we are constantly ten steps behind from a technology stand point. We are at least one and maybe two Windows versions behind what is necessary to run this program. I love the fact that once installed, it is cost effective which of course is a major selling point for the education world. However, it seems to me that we are still not at a point where we can implement programs like this.
ReplyDeleteI'd also like to comment on your inclusion of the idea that kids can talk to people across the globe but have no idea how to work together nor communicate with those in the same room. I find this becoming increasingly prevalent in my classroom. I find it interesting that the more technology opens our worlds, the more it also closes it off.