Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
Tino, very informative to someone who just heard of Augmented Reality (AR) last week. In a way to this old timer it seems a bit frightening but on the same note for some purposes like medical training it seems like really a wonderful opportunity.
ReplyDeleteYou second video I believe it was dealt with no AR but AW? That seemed really cool too. In this type of program I can guess there might be some real winners and some big losers as more of business might be exposed to the consumer.
Did you find any timeline for when AR would be more consumer ready, assuming it isn't now or I have just been living with my head in the sand.
Tino, I just wanted to clarify that when I said that businesses might be losers as the consumers are exposed to more, what I was think of is if you were looking for a hotel as your video showed the hotel no longer could keep information on available rooms from you as the consumer. This would allow the consumer to have more knoweldge. Now the consumer has all the information that the company in the past had control over. It is almost like with the publishing world how there were gate keepers to who could publish. This seems to remove some the gatekeepers from some parts of business.
ReplyDeleteThis my first experience hearing about augmented reality. It's amazing how we see and experience media is changing drastically. What I found the most interesting is how experience of anything is changed into 3-D and provide a window to a variety of perspectives.
ReplyDeleteI agree that this tool would be extremely useful in the classroom. There are many things students can not experience, but with this type of tool they will have a close to real-world interactions. We could study the past, such as ancient civilizations. This could include studying their tools and architecture. It could also be used to provide more in depth virtual museum tours.
On a side note, the last video seemed to be in a different language. Technology is universal, with the symbols referenced in the video clip made sense and I was still able to gain information.
This is really amazing technology! I did not realize that there was a push to expand this into everyday life. As a visual learner I see this as being very beneficial in creating that real life experience within a classroom. I see it as incredibly engaging and could have a profound impact in many content areas. I am curious on the timeline as well.
ReplyDeleteI had never heard of this technology before. It seems that we are on the thresh hold of something big. I am also a visual learner and I can see great uses in the classroom for this technology. Kids would be able to see things as they really are (3D). Imagine looking at an animal that you have never seem before and being able to examine it top to bottom and right to left. I think that more students would be engaged in their learning environment with this technology. Math, science, history and art come to mind as subjects that will become easier for students to comprehend.
ReplyDeleteThat was very interesting to hear about and talk about amazing. How incredible would it be to be able to do that now? I feel that something like this would have a huge impact on society. It would change it completely no one would ever be able to look at things in the same way. I think that people could really benefit from this. Being able to see how things really are the fact that the book could really come alive is out of this world. With something like this the talk of books becoming instinct would no longer exist. The challenges are the cost what would be the cost of the phone or of the glasses. How realistic would it be for our students? What if this is something that they could only experience in school and not outside. I think that the things that you could do with this are endless. It would take a lot of work but I do think that everyone would be able to benefit from it. I love the fact that you showed videos that had different perspectives. You did a really nice job showing and telling us what Augmented Reality is.
ReplyDeleteThank you! there are actually really nice applications for that right now... I have a cheap smart phone and I just downloaded Wikitude World Web Browser.. it does almost all the things that you see here :) and it is free! Please check it out!
ReplyDelete