Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
Wow--talk about a great way to increase kids motivation to exercise! Of course, they have to have phones in the first place. I like the idea of doing this as a class--any way to get the "prizes" on a computer that all the kids can use?
ReplyDeleteBy the way--you have a great voice for podcasting!
Thank you Professor Borrego, I always think that my voice sounds differently from what others hear. This technology is fairly new, so right now I believe that their main focus is to get kids, family, and the community to be more active and the prizes are an incentive. They also give out awards like you would receive in middle school for an academic achievement which would boost children's confidence.
DeleteGeoPalz pedometer sounds like an excellent way to get kids interested in exercise. It still baffles me that children do not just naturally go out and run and play. I’m certain parent fears of allowing children to run the neighborhood, plus current trends to give children most everything they want plays into the obesity epidemic. I went to the website yet could not find the membership cost for this product. It appears it’s a type of commission based earning or a subscription. If this product requires a continual fee to use and earn prizes for exercise, I could see parents beginning and then not continuing in the same way people begin gym memberships and then quit when they find they don’t use it enough to make it worth the money, or they simply can’t afford it as they thought. If your child is really struggling though, and you can’t get results any other way, it’s worth a try. The podcast is very well done. It was clear and well delivered. Every time I try to record, I goof up somewhere along the way and have to start over.
ReplyDeleteI believe with all the technology we have now that children are literally glued to the television, Xbox, etc. You have to subscribe, but the only thing that would cost you is the pedometer. I believe it is MUCH cheaper to pay $25.00 for a pedometer than it is for a gym membership. Consider this, you would have to schedule your time to go to the gym, get motivated to actually go and/or motivate your child to want to go. Also, with the pedometer you can monitor your steps online, and the company has tried to make it fun and interesting for all.
DeleteThe link does not work for me. (http://tinyurl.com/722osyc)
ReplyDeleteIs there a direct link that can be provided? Thanks!
What a great way to get kids moving again. It seems that anymore in order to get kids motivated there has to be some sort of either competitive nature or some technology involved. This provides for both. I love the idea that it can be used to form a team such as with family members or in the classroom. Given the current health epidemics we have linked to poor lifestyle habits, I'm excited to learn of innovations in getting kids interested in moving and hopefully building lifelong healthy habits.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, I found this really interesting. I wondering if parents could be the losers here as they have to do the programming and if the kids turn the tables on parents to suggest they exercise as well. I did visit your links and passed them along to our PE teacher as I found them very interesting and I thought it was pretty affordable. Not necessarily for a school to purchase them but as a tool to pass along to parents. It is sad in a way that our society has gotten to place of needed to reward kids for going outside to play. As a child we played outside all the time (even though we lived in Oregon). 24/7 TV and other technologies as well as busy lifestyles just seem to take kids away from exercising and physical activities.
ReplyDeleteIt is very interesting technology and it is a fun way to encourage kids to get active. This technology, also, would be very helpful to build healthy body because this tiny technology enhances physical movement in an entertaining way.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this. This is an awesome way to get even stubborn children that like to just sit around, up and active. As we all know kids are getting more and more lazy with all the new and fun technology, this is a way to have technology and keep kids active. very good.
ReplyDelete