Friday, February 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
This site looks worthwhile. I will definitely look it up. Did you say if it is free? I like that you are using it for homework. I think it is okay that it is skill and drill, especially because you are using it as an extra homework assignment. I use IXL in the same fashion.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am a tech teacher, but I always share this site with my students as a resource for their other classes because the videos are so good. I know an engineering student that finds Khan academy to be a better resource then a few of his professors.
ReplyDeleteI like the way you are using it within your class. Thanks for the information it was helpful to hear a math teachers perspective on the site.
Elizabeth--it is free. Khan has some deep pocketed sponsors such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I've used it for a long time and it's an amazing resource.
ReplyDeleteNever heard of it until now... it is amazing! Thank you for such comprehensive analysis, Daniel!
ReplyDeleteThe possibilities are huge. I just do not know how this tool imports and exports data. Is it compatible with Microsoft Office or OpenOffice? Compatibility is certainly an issue with software. I am also thinking if there could be implemented with some cooperative activities or its compatibility with other platforms like Moodle.
Definitely, a great tool to try out.
I've heard a little about this before. It is a great resource. It reminds me a bit of a site we use at my school, www.ixl.com . The main difference is that the Khan site has video (ixl doesn't). It is so useful, all the ways it breaks the data down also. My only complaint is that it really isn't too appropriate for the elementary levels (at least early elementary, anyways). I like it as a replacement for typical paper/pencil homework for kids who have internet at home. I think that students would be more interested in doing the work since it is technology centered.
ReplyDeleteI can't begin to say how much I love this site. I've taught a large number of my homeschool students how to find topics on Khan Academy and there are some that surely use it on a daily basis. The upgrades that they made were great and I imagine it will continue to get better.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
I think this site is really a great resource. It has plenty of features. I think students would really enjoy doing there homeworks this way rather than traditional way. I like that it has a video to help students when they are stuck. I'm not really familiar with this kind of sites, but I think it is a great one.
ReplyDelete