Friday, February 10, 2012

28. Board of Awesomeness (Broadbent)

Click here to download: http://tinyurl.com/6puvw5b

6 comments:

  1. It's hard not to think there is something more to this. With a kinect controller recording your real moves, take it back to the studio and upload your favorite backgrounds to your epic ride to perpetuate the 20's fear of nothingness syndrome.

    Sounds wicked awesome, too bad I'm 35 and past that place in my life. The latest edition of Make Magazine has an article about how to hack your kinect controller to turn you into a live weatherman in front of any background, but without the green screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I see two things when looking at all this technology working in concert: Purest innovation and myself at hospital after I crash! What an interesting way to put over $500 worth of technology into the path of destruction. All kidding aside, this is a very inventive integration of the future of image recognition and mobility. I do wonder who wins with the open-source plans of this tech fusion, though. I guess we all do?
    Alas, excellent share! I must admit I would love to give it a shot... in a full-on padded suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes to technology, there is plenty of field to combine different devices and try them out. Elizabeth, you have been very generous to label it as “not an equal opportunity toy”. I see it totally unaffordable for common people because it is not just to buy the parts: at 32 mph you will need to replace the tablet and the Kinect with each crash (and I am not even talking of body injuries and medical expenses)!

    The good view of it (Randal points out another example of using Kinect) is creativity. This awesome/weird idea might enlighten others to try out their own prototypes of combining devices that will surely have deeper implications to society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool and fun idea! This idea is most definitely in it's infancy, but I see promise in the design. I like how the creators used technology that is up and coming, in a new way. As it stands now, it seems a bit too expensive to manufacture and also not durable enough to handle the use of a teen. But, with more development, I am betting it will evolve into an affordable and popular new "toy". It may even have the promise to become as popular as the razor scooter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, I found this really interesting. I was glad to see him wearing a helmet, though I am sure it was for webcam purposes. I think the winners in this one might be insurance companies and emergency rooms. I think too parents could be the losers here as their children beg for one and like you said they can't be too cheap. It reminded me to for the Sega Way...not that I have ever ridden one of those but my boys tired it at a museum and it wasn't as easy as it looks taking balance and concentration much like you described here. How I wonder is the tablet protected from the abuse it would get on a toy like this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is hilarious. I always wanted to ride one, but I think I missed this chance. 32 mph is too fast especially when we know that skate board is a kind of teens thing. If I had kids I might get them this board for fun in some safe place for this, but not as a daily thing use. I winder how much getting this awesomeness board might cost? I also wonder how the tablet will be protected when it is too hot or raining?

    ReplyDelete