Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I wonder if this can interface with my Wii remote, and my Nike ipod thingy? Even if it can't, having a tool like this would be interesting in the classroom - when do my students get tired the most? Which subject is actually boring them to sleep? Which activity is stimulating their minds, or giving which test question is giving them the most greif on a given test? Looking at "live" information such as this and using it to guide how I structure my day, my lessons, and my assessments would be interesting and beneficial to my students.
ReplyDeleteLooking at a different profession; I can see how this could be used in the transportation industry, and in the medical field as well - who wants a sleepy driver behind the wheel of an automobile/train/plane or a sleepy doctor behind a scalpel?
Well done and what a cool product! Leave it to the inventors down under to come up with something like this. I could see this selling really well out of the shopping catalogs found in airplanes. The impacts to society as a whole might be minimal, but I can see this ending in safer nighttime driving, students paying more attention to when to take a break from studying and maybe even helping those who work alone be made aware when they’re starting to space out.
ReplyDeleteThe visual appeal of your document was fantastic! It really gave me some ideas on how I can improve on my own project. The product you're sharing is very interesting and they're could really be a lot of practical uses for it (as mentioned in the other comments).
ReplyDeleteThe classroom application of this product would be interesting to say the least. Can you imagine having to send students to the nap room or send them home because you know for certain that they're too exhausted? Or would they make teachers where them as well? I know that I sometimes get very little sleep and still go to work as normal.
If they were to make these devices mandatory in the truck driving industry, I think many truck drivers would have a problem with it. I worked at a truck stop in college and a lot of the truckers hated when employers started switching over to digital log books instead of paper ones (basically because they were forced to be honest then). This would make them even more accountable (which I would argue is a good thing).
Skylar,
ReplyDeleteI really like your presentation. Nicely done! And what an interesting product! I could see this device being used in almost every profession. Want to know what the plumber is really doing under your sink? Check his cap!
On the serious side, I see how this could be a great device for people using heavy machinary, transporting others, tax accountants, and more. On the medical side, I wonder if this could be adjusted to monitor for signs of serious conditions, like strokes, seizures, or heart attacks?
This is a very cool product, and I too liked your presentation of it. My first thought was a flashback to elementary school of my teacher announcing for everyone to put their thinking caps on. Back then it was just an imaginary object that apparently made us tap into learning mode. My second thought was what this technology could broaden out to do. What if the cap not only recognized the fatigue, but somehow corrected it? They have balance bracelets now that have been said to correct motion sickness and balance issues, why not a hat that can manipulate your brain to focus and essentially wake up? This device is a hat after all and it is there to read the waves of your brain, why not double the effort? I could see this type of technology being a driving requirement eventually to lower the risk of accidents (This might even include temporarily "fixing" the impaired minds of drunk drivers. I could see this helping students to do better in school because they can fully focus (especially those with ADHD or ADD or even Autism). What if this Smart Cap beame the new "5 Hour Energy" and everyone was just ready for the day because they put on their "thinking caps" like we did in elementary school but they really worked? This already very cool technology has a lot of potential!
ReplyDelete