Friday, February 10, 2012

18: Tobii Gaze Interface (Hill)

Click here to download: http://tinyurl.com/79s88e2

5 comments:

  1. I did not watch the video, but you are correct, this technology lets disabled people with parkinsons, or even paralysis finally use a traditional computer without voice activation interface. I also wonder if it is not a stepping stone technology to the use of contact lenses as video screens and the ability to control that interface with eyes only. The economic advantage of offering this to a smaller number of disabled users wouldn't seem very cost effective, so perhaps you are right, and that they are trying to bridge that financial gap by marketing it to the masses as a laziness enhancement device. I can see further ramifications for this technology in advertising, by flashing all sorts of pictures on the screen, the computer can already tell what images you are predisposed to be stimulated by, thus marketing a selected group of products that you are already interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty,

    This is a very interesting technology. I work on a computer all day and sometimes it feels like Carpal Tunnel is creeping up on me. So far it has always gone away. I have tried an ergonomic keyboard that has a touch pad on it, but I always give up on it after a few days because the touch pad is so much less efficient than a mouse. I could see this as being a nice alternative that could help people not overuse their hands. I was surprised that the video didn't focus on the benefit for handicapped people. However, as Randy commented I can see how they could want to market this to a wider audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is quite the forward thinking technology. It reminds me of sic-fi movies were access codes are entered through an eye scan or fingerprints. I think this would be a terrific benefit to those who are disabled physically. I do agree with you that this promotes a certain level of laziness in the general public that simply doesn't want to click or scroll with their fingers. The major shift in society that I could see being developed through this technology would be the tendency to multi task even more than we do now. I can imagine the cost of this technology would be pretty significant, because when it is first introduced everyone will want to be able to say they have Gaze technology. Still struggling to wrap my head around this one hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tobii Gaze sounds absolutely fascinating! The potential for this technology is great, yet it could for very specific purposes. This would be great for someone who does not have appendages to use for touch (soldier comes home with no arms), or a student who does not have fine motor skills, or even a mother her literally has her arms full with a child - all can use Gaze to complete tasks that they probably wouldn't be able to otherwise. I can definitely see where this tool could and will be used in other applications other than for the disabled individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fascinating concept. I think the problem in the video was that it seemed like the need for this type of technology and application was due to bothersome or cumbersome current practices such as touching the screen or moving on the touch pad. It did give the appearance of laziness, however as others have also commented, I think the possibility for this type of technology to be available for people with limited use issues or disabilities is phenomenal! The idea that a computer could track ones eyes and then with a single click an application could be launched it wonderful for those who have struggled to use the traditional methods available today. I hope the cost isn't prohibitive to those who need the technology access.

    ReplyDelete