Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I enjoy the benefits that come with theis technology, however, the downfalls are a little worrisome. To be able to access everything with one device, including useage and ability to do something like turn on and off lights is amazing. This helps a lot with organization about only having to work with one source. Once they work out the kinks I think it will become an even better product.
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job balancing both the positive and negative aspects in your review. The main benefit is being able to manage everything in one place. I imagine the mobility could also be valuable for many users. On the other hand, I would agree that it may be a risk when considering hackers. Sometimes having all of this type of information, such as surveillance, is one to think twice about before using it in virtual space.
ReplyDeleteHi Sheley,
ReplyDeleteThis was very interesting to read about. I think you make a great point that this could divide neighbors and decrease a sense of community in a neighborhood. We often rely on neighbors to look after the house when we are on vacation or out on business. It seems like this device might be able to replace that, ultimately reducing the amount of interpersonal relationships we might have with the people living around us.
I guess this can also decrease a sense of community in a neighborhood,but people can both talk to their neighbors, and use this device, taking into account that technology sometimes fails..
DeleteSam,
ReplyDeleteInteresting and yet kind of creepy device ultimately isn't it? I like the idea of having access to what is going on at home while I'm not there and yet it almost gives a sense of spying. I certainly wouldn't want to possibility for a hacker to know what is going on either. However, how cool would it be to turn down the heat from work should you realize you left it up before leaving the house.
I also appreciated your commentary on the possibility for a decrease in the sense of community which comes from neighbors relying on each other. I think that is easy to do in a hurry up society as it is. Nice point!
This little gadget would also help decrease consumption of electricity. Instead of having inconvenient timers set up all over your house, you could set all of your appliances and lights to a timer from a single interface. I use timers around my house currently, and it is a pain. However, this device requires a subscription. For what? For the ability to turn things in your house on and off? No thanks. I do not foresee people signing up in droves for the ability to monitor and switch appliances and outlets on or off in their house.
ReplyDeleteOne avenue Motorola should pursue is the business sector. The ability to monitor power consumption and/or productivity in the business setting may be important to business owners.
This is amazing! This could be used in areas that are very dangerous and affected by crime. I am sure that many home owners would be able to afford this system for the protection for their own houses. If camera devices are installed in areas in which crime rates are high, probably crime would go down. I also see this business very important to business owners.
ReplyDelete(Post from Paul Schlegelmann)
ReplyDeleteThe ability to remotely monitor and control our homes has some real pros and cons, some of which have already been mentioned.
Pros
• This will be a boon for those of us away at work or on vacation so that we can control our house (e.g. turn off lights, turn down heat) and monitor it (security status, water leaks, etc.)
• Will be a boon for us as parents when we are not at home but our children are at home - this allows us to monitor what our children are doing when needed (via video feed).
• Monitoring elderly parents who are living on their own. We can watch video feeds to see if they are active and doing well, check the home’s temperature, and check other status indicators.
Cons
• One feature mentioned was the ability to have the smartphone app use the built-in GPS to detect when we are away from the house and lock the house for us. What if I walk 100 yards out to my mailbox, forget my keys, and come back to find my house locked and the battery dies in my phone. Oops, I’m now locked out of my house.
• The major concern I have has been mentioned already and that is the potential for hackers to gain access. They could easily find out the home’s location, unlock the door, and gain easy access. Or, they could wreak havoc by turning the heat up all the way, turning on an unsafe appliance, etc. I would not trust this kind of system in my own home, even with all the potential benefits already mentioned.
The home gateway seems like a crazy idea, to be able to be away from your house and be able to still keep an eye on it is Ludacris. I think that it is a great idea and I see a lot of people already think about all the possibilities that can come from it. I see something like these being useful for people with a home and children. I don’t really see the appeal of this being for someone that is single and living in an apartment. Who knows that’s just what I think. The benefits are being able to know what is going on in your home. The challenge is always depending on this to show you what’s going on in your own home. There will be loss of privacy since the possibility that someone is watching could become an issue. Or the fact that someone could hack into your system seems to me very scary. Then how can you truly know if in deed you are safe in your own home. I wonder what the price on one of these devices would be.
ReplyDelete