Saturday, February 5, 2011

9. Broadcastr

5 comments:

  1. Broadcastr sound like a great resource to bring a real richness to how we perceive other places. I for one am intrigued and want to investigate.

    I would be curious how the database will be "monitored" and maintained. We are witnessing the success of Wikipedia. Can it be duplicated? It also seems like a dangerous thing to publish "real stories" only because a view point or angle will assuredly be left out. This technology is meant to bring cultures together, I hope it doesn't end up marginalizing or insulting anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thought, Renae. I was thinking of it more as a tool for narrating informational pieces on the landscape, but in fact its intent is for publishing "real stories" and undoubtedly more personal stories will be the norm. You are right to be concerned about the directions this might take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thank you for showing me a new tool to explore for classroom use. I teach English Language learners and I think this would be a great resource to listen to/use in the classroom. I love the idea of saving our world events and places from various perspectives in a place for future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Broadcastr sounds very promising. I can see it helping students to develop a greater "sense of place." (Both of their own and of the larger world.) I thought about the "Appalachian/Great Smokeys Scenic Drive" audio Mary shared with us from week 4. Reading about a place is much different than experiencing a story through the language and dialect of a place. It could bring history and current events to life. It would be an amazing "primary source."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, (from an insrtuctional view) what an awesome tool for breathing life into the typically dry, sterile study of history, cultural geography,and such. In literature, it could add an interesting dimension to biographies. This reminds me of the many History Channel documentaries I have watched over the years.

    ReplyDelete