Saturday, February 5, 2011

15. Kinect

7 comments:

  1. After reading about the Ipad story on Autism it reminded me of an amazing article I read about how the Kinect related to a child with Autism...

    Please read this as well..

    http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/I-think-Kinect-is-OK2c-but-its-the-best-24150-I-spent-on-a-console/Item20369.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story - very inspirational! I wonder if this kind of gaming experience with an autistic child has sparked further studies. I'm not much of a gamer, but I can see the value of a similar shared experience with my grandson. It's exciting to watch them learn - when you can almost see them making the connections in their heads. Very gratifying experience for this father, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kinect is definitely a great addition to the trend toward making virtual reality, well, more real. The newest part of Microsoft's Kinect is the Avatar Kinect. You can be an avatar and the camera picks up on your facial expressions and the computer translates these to your avatar so when you are in a avatar chat with others you get an idea of the body language of those you are chatting with. OK, it might not beat Skype or such video chats but at least with Kinect you can kick back in your pj's with messed up hair and your avatar will still look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like Kinect is a preview of the future of gaming, and in many ways represents what it has already become. The connections made through the internet have certainly impacted the way videogames are played. Laurie, I was unaware of the avatar aspects of this system...sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, this isn't fair! I just recently (within the last year) caved into acquiring the Wii. For only a very brief moment in time, I was technologically hip!
    I wonder how the future of this and similar technology might impact the commercial prospects of gyms and fitness centers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick said, "I wonder how the future of this and similar technology might impact the commercial prospects of gyms and fitness centers." And not only those, but what about nursing homes. Wii systems have already become a big hit, not only with the people living there, but with their doctors and nurses because their health is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once tried kinect and that was fun. Now, many people are trying to hack kinect not only to be used for PC but also to be used for robot. Check this cool and funny Kinect hack video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpM0s6c3z94.

    If you want to know more about kinect robot, just check this link:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpM0s6c3z94

    Who knows maybe 100 years later there will be a robot like human (Seems scary) or maybe there will be a more advance kinect divice that people can use with 3D glasses to create virtual environment so people can have 4D tour around the world.

    ReplyDelete