Saturday, February 5, 2011

2. iPad

6 comments:

  1. I love the story on Autism, it reminded me of an article I had read about Autism and the Kinect (So much so I linked it on the Kinect blog here)

    It is also reading about the ipad after the discussions this week about an ipad and education. I know this was created weeks ago, but it is a nice different view.

    I like the idea of using an ipad in special education situations as I feel it is more plausible early (Due to special ed dollars and less students in special ed) I am worried about how much the ipad would cost in education but I think the idea is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I have never seen an Ipad up front and personal before. I did get a great sense of hope after viewing the video link. I really liked the medical students thought when he said that the "future of medicine will depend not on how much information you can hold in your head but how much information you have access to at any given time." Well I believe that will hold true to almost any aspect of life in the future. The portable device will give everyone access to the same wealth of information thus as Thomas Friedman would put it making the world flat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a heart wrenching (heart warming?) story about how powerful iPads can be for the disabled, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Oa1rgagVQ

    While I was searching for the video (which I'd seen earlier this year) I came across all sorts of videos documenting children and people with disabilities using the iPad. It's really quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the ipad, or similar tablets, are the future of technology in education. I am reluctant because of the cost too, but costs will undoubtedly go down in the future. I have never heard of the benefits for disabled students but I will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw an news article about this and also a youtube video of an elderly woman who has never used a computer before but loved the ipad.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndkIP7ec3O8&feature=player_embedded

    I am a big fan of the iPad, I've been using mine to do all my online courses. It's great for reading and checking email along with checking up on the internet, like facebook and twitter. Although I still fall back to a computer with a physical keyboard for typing. I've tried syncing a BT keyboard to the ipad, but it's not that great. Too much lag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was pretty ambivalent about iPads in the beginning - I thought they were going to be little more than beefier versions of an iPhone. But after reading the blogs on both Kinect and iPads with their experiences with autistic children, I am definitely impressed. A tool that gives this kind hope to desperately frustrated parents, and demonstrates such positive effects, is worth every penny.

    So I now understand a little better about the value of this tool in education. But I'm also a Word Solitaire addict. And I think I really just want a chance to play my favorite game with cards that aren't half the size of my fingertips. Embarrassing - my goal should be a little more aspirational posted on an educationally-themed blog. But there you are.

    ReplyDelete