Saturday, February 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love that you talked about blogs as a second classroom. What a great way to think of them!
ReplyDeleteI use blogs every day in my class. It's where students do all their writing like journal responses and essays, and also where they store their research that they've found online. They can read and comment on each other's blogs, although they usually read and then comment out loud to each other in class. :) They also use it to show their parents what they've been doing, and I use it to collaborate with other teachers on writing skills.
Blogs have been a great addition to my classroom and I don't have any problem getting students to write these days.
I agree that maybe blogs might be an overlooked technology however they are definitely a valuable resource in the classroom or should I say outside the classroom. I also like the "second classroom" idea. Somewhere things can be posted and commented on for parents and students alike.
ReplyDeleteIt takes a long time for things to find their way into the classroom! Perhaps tools like blogs will help make school more dynamic and engaging. I have seen the power of audience first hand, so I can imagine that a blog is definitely motivation for the students to do more meaningful work! The more teachers who blog...the faster it will spread!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I know any teachers who blog--it seems kind of sad when they appear to be powerful products as well as an instant way to create relevance and publishing (2 key criteria in powerful teaching and learning jargon).
I do wonder if bloggong in the forest goes against transcendental principles? :)
Blogs are a great resource in the classroom! I have used one in the past, but I admit I have underestimated their potential. One teacher at my school uses his blog for classroom writing students comment on other students work!
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of using blogs in education, but I, from a complete novice's standpoint, wonder if there is a need to consider a developmental age prior to introducing this technology. After watching the Mrs. Cassidy's Classroom video, I begin to think about the significance of audience to the quality of student learning. At her grade level, is there any measurable educational gain (lesson objective) by expanding the audience from the classroom and hallway walls of a student's school to the Internet audience of strangers?
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to have a classroom again and get a blog going for my students. I believe however that we as educators need to be meticulous about monitoring those blogs. We've all heard horror stories about teachers friending students on Facebook and sharing too much information over Twitter accounts. Who's to say that it couldn't happen on a blog as well?
ReplyDeleteIt's a great resource, but like all technology (and non-technology) we must be careful how we use it.
Opening up to another classroom is a fantastic idea. Study the same subjects and present to one another, ask questions, answer questions from the other students, share stories that students write. The sky is the limit and we are the fuel to help propel our students as they rocket into space!