Saturday, February 5, 2011

14. Alternative Energy

6 comments:

  1. Denise wrote: "This kind of technology already exists, such as Kindle’s Kandle, but not with the same degree of purpose, sustainability-focus, or heart."

    You are so right to point out what I (very much) hope is the key to great success in their manufacturing, sales, and distribution. What an incredible resource to draw upon - their very own experiences that make them a dream team for dreamers of better tomorrows.

    The Kindle Kandle is designed and produced solely by and for the Kindle as an extra perk for a perk. It's money that wants to make more money. With this kind of technology already in place, it's really about these guys making a product that can fit the numerous needs of, well, the truly needy and inspiring others to bring it to them. From angel investors to consumers, they have the possibility for greater success in supporting their intent.

    I'm hoping that unlike similar products that are out there, they can keep their price point low for a unit that (with built in tools) can also:

    - produce heat or heat an element (melt water and warm bodies for lost winter hikers and drivers)
    - charge up a cell without a cable (emergency calls)
    - send out a signal and gps coordinates (for rescue)
    - flash a locator beam (finding fellow outdoor-partners)
    - provide a 3-prong outlet (so that any plug-in product can be solar powered)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rene's comments with this technology about low pricing. This is a great way to help those without or have limited access to power but it has to be priced to be obtainable by the poor who need it.

    I love the thought of being able to charge the GPS, walkie or phone for one of those "just in case" situations while out hiking off the beaten track.

    My mobile chicken house has a solar indoor light and sports a string of colored solar lights over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a technology that can have a HUGE impact in many settings. I agree with the above comments regarding price point, but this seems like the kind of technology that will eventually be mass-produced very cheaply by several companies. Any device that can create a power source from solar energy becomes something that can greatly benefit people without access to electricity. Whether this is disaster-relief or impoverished circumstances, I think it can have a great impact. I would like to see a hand crank added to the side (similar to the flashlights you can buy) so that electricity can be created without sunlight as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of an affordable, non-energy consuming charging device. And the progress that has been made in the quality of illumination by LED has been awesome.
    What about the potential for using LED light to excite photovoltaic cells to provide a continuous source of electicity to run other devices?
    I do question the need for underdeveloped areas (without electricity) to have a device to recharge their cellphones or laptops (do they even have such devices?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick said, "I do question the need for underdeveloped areas (without electricity) to have a device to recharge their cellphones or laptops (do they even have such devices?)." Some third world countries do have cell phones, and other technologies of this age. And it will make it easier for those who are from first world countries to go to those other places and help them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting...

    I think many people in developing countries in africa and south east asia are really need this technology. In my country Indonesia, there are still people who live in remote areas that have no electricy yet. My brother who is a medical doctor, he is now serving many people in a remote area in Papua island (East part of Indonesia). He said that there are many houses there that have no electricity. Many times he has difficulty to charge his phones and any other electronic deveices. Evertime, he has to find houses that have Diesel Electric generator in order to charge his devices. Thus, I think technologies with solar energy is the best alternative energy that can help many people in tropical areas.

    ReplyDelete