Saturday, February 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
I don't really know how to wrap my head around this idea with any real seriousness. I think it is fascinating, I just can't help but smirk when reading about singularity. It just seems so Skynet (Terminator) to me.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if the main reason we think of ideas like super-human intelligence is because of Asimov and these sci-fi stories of past? Is it one of those situations where an idea planted becomes bigger than it is?
I really am speechless...
I tend to believe more positivly about the idea. As a math teacher I talk all the time when my students use a calculator that the calculator is only as smart as the person using it. Meaning that they need to check and double check their work because you may know that 7 x 3 = 21, but if you press 7 + 3 you will get 10. The calculator didn't do anything wrong, but you imput something else wrong into it. I don't entirely know how this connects with singularity, but I think in general that singularity in the Asimov sense is not really possible.
But listening to Vernor Vinge I seemed to be swayed... Very interesting idea.
Check out the current issue of Time magazine for an in depth look at what the Sigularity is what it might mean for humanity.
ReplyDeleteHere's a fun look at it from Time Magazine online:
ReplyDeleteWhen Robots Attack! Should We Fear a Singularity?
http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,784887564001_2048332,00.html
What a scary prospect; technology that renders humankind irrelevant! Sounds a bit like a movie concept. I will definitely read up on this topic.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I would not say I completely don't believe this could happen (because we all know what happens when people try to predict the future of technology, especially when it is negative), but I would say it does seem far fetched. And you should all check out the link Mary Bucy put up. It is really good!
ReplyDeleteThe takeover of the machines is coming! But don't worry...Arnold will be back!
ReplyDeleteOk so as you can see I am a bit skeptical to the idea put forth here. I disagree that all of these inventions are leading to the idea of "singularity". I think they are leading us to a more technologically advanced society that does not know the exact consequences. In saying that it is leading us towards singularity not much is truly being stated other than to say that we are advancing. If that is the claim then I agree.
It is an interesting - and ominous - theory. (I've tried several times to watch the video Mary posted, but my home wireless connection is anything but reliable. I'll try it again tomorrow from the T1 line connection at work!) It is hard to take it too seriously, even if science fiction is often filled with real science. It still feels like a Hollywood plot line to me. But if all the reading this quarter has taught us anything, there is no denying that we're coming closer all the time to AI.
ReplyDeleteGreat article. I agree that there are ideas that are brought forth that aren't quickly adopted, but these days it seems revolutionary ideas are quickly adopted, like facebook years back. Also when Apple brings anything out it's instantly popular.
ReplyDeleteI do wonder when we'll see the transporter technology, however it does seem like it's something that can't really be real.