Saturday, February 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After reading the presentation listed in the blog topic, please comment with your thoughts on the impact this new technology may have on society. Share your thoughts on such things as benefits or challenges perceived, note how the power structure in society might change, discuss ways this technology might be abused, or discuss who will win and lose as a result of this technology.
Very interesting! Reminds me a wiki, but from inside the classroom. It's great to have these smaller, portlable, less expensive options for classrooms. Most schools don't have money or the room for full computer labs in each classroom, but mobile things like Mobi are a great option that can still get kids thinking and working through technology.
ReplyDeleteYou should go into marketing! This would be a great sales pitch to the principal: "It allows student learners to work and share instantly with everyone in the class. Collaboration builds trust. Trust builds community. Community is the heart of every classroom." Nice job.
ReplyDeleteI am very excited about the shift to collaborative learning, and I agree that a tool like this will really help students "huddle up" and work together on a problem. With a screen that can be written on students can write in new ideas, erase, draw pictures, and the entire class can benefit from seeing what the student or group is talking about. I am a visual learner and I know that it would be a lot easier for me to follow an explanation of a math problem by seeing it as it is being explained. Although students can twitter feedback to teachers via their cellphones, the drawbacks there are that it is an individual giving the feedback that pops on the screen and the feedback isn't visual.
Here's my concern: won't this $300 gadget become obsolete in about two months when Apple comes up with apps for the iPad to do all of the same things and more?
Jana, you do make a great pitch. As a bit of a doubting Thomas, I always ask why this can't be done without the technology? If we need gadgets to connect with people, isn't their something wrong with the system? This may end up being another fad that is based on great concepts but doesn't come to fruition because we are still collaborating in a static building on topics that are not always engaging to everyone. (engaged in information as opposed to the cool, shiny gadget)
ReplyDeleteThe Boo Hiss aside, this looks like a fun tool that could instantly create an audience. The power of "publishing" increases the quality of product as well as spreads good ideas faster. I would certainly like a set in my classroom!!! I can envision this adding to our activities potentially everyday!
I have an interactive whiteboard in my classroom and I love using mine. The Mobi systems would be great because the boards are not multi-touch (yet) which means only one student can use it at a time. I would love to be able to incorporate all my students in a lesson at once or have them work in small groups. I assume that these are very expensive and so I don't think I will be getting them in my classroom any time soon :(.
ReplyDeleteI love it I love it I love it! This is an exciting bit of technology that could be used very well. I was the first teacher in a past school to use a SmartBoard and won an award for it then. I would love to try this one out and see what I could do with it.
ReplyDeleteThe downfall I saw with it at this point right now, the clickers have the "old" computer type writing on it. Enhanced graphics and writing I'm sure are in the works, but for the generation of students that are so engaged in iPods, iPhones, HTC's, etc, that "old" computer looking words might turn them away.