Saturday, February 5, 2011

17. 4G

5 comments:

  1. I really like these ideas of wireless anywhere. I can remember just having a plug for internet and having to go plug to plug. Now we can go to Router to Router... with 4g and even some cities offering free wireless we can basically go anywhere and be wireless.

    One of the problems I have in the classroom when it comes to wanted to do anything online is the lack of availability at homes. I have all my classroom information online, but cannot expect students to look at it when they don't have internet at home.

    4g or city wide internet could alleviate that problem to a better extent and be something much more interesting and exiting in the long run.

    (I just hope people live in the moment and don't get to wrapped up in internet all the time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious how long this 4G phase will last (I read between 2011 and 2013), and how long will the next phase last, etc. It's absolutely amazing how much we can can do and how fast we can do it. It is hard to wrap my mind around what is coming next and what that can possibly mean, not only for our personal lives, but for schools, hospitals, etc. And going off what Patrick W. said, " I have all my classroom information online, but cannot expect students to look at it when they don't have internet at home," how long before we can expect, not just the wealthy students, but all students to have this at THEIR fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I understood the ins and outs of how something like this works...however I do not! I like the idea though. We are moving into a mobile world, well at least a mobile US, and faster is better. I feel perfectly content with my 3G service but I don't do that many things. Loading of videos can take a while but other than that I don't have any issues. I think the biggest impact will be on the business world. When something needs to get done it can be done faster than ever! Hopefully 4G will bring about lower prices so mobile internet will be more accessible to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite interesting - and on a side note, now I know what 4G stands for. Had no idea it meant fourth generation - I always assumed the G had something to do with gigabytes. Everything in our world is geared toward getting faster, better and bigger (well, smaller in physical space, larger in virtual, anyway.)

    It's amazing to see how fast our technology is evolving, and to recognize how much it will benefit your students when they can have this kind of access at home (or while traveling/commuting). And their parents benefit, too. I'd have learned how to use my computer much more efficiently if the digital natives in my home (my children) had been spent less time waiting for dial up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope my country Indonesia will soon have 4G mobile data connection. Internet speed in Indonesia is still 3 Mbits/sec.

    So far Japan has the fastest internet connection in the world (100 Mbps/sec). I hope in the future high speed mobile internet will be very cheap. If all the internet connection speed in the world are 100Mbps/sec like in Japan, it think it will give a huge impact to bussinesses, education, economy, politics and many aspects of human lives. The world will be fully flattened.

    ReplyDelete